First Aid and Emergency Kit?

D_H_P

Hi,

by way of introduction, I am new to deer stalking, been out a few times, not grassed anything yet but I have done a grallock on a beast shot by someone else.

Now to the point, Do you carry first aid and emergency kit? If so what?

Dave

Always carry a small "in car" type first aid kit,mobile phone and have a checking in and out safety procedure.

A first aid and emergency kit is a MUST, in my book, when going out in the wild, at all times. I don't go out without one in my kit.

"It is better to have it and not need it, as to need it and not have it."

I'm a qualified Advanced Wilderness First Aider. I carry a trauma kit in my range bag and for stalking a kit for a more extended wait for an ambulance.

At minimum you should carry a lone worker type kit. Small, light and might save a life. Beyond that though knowledge weighs nothing.

I've got hooked now. I may do Wilderness EMT in 2016.

Last edited:
I carry a basic first aid kit in my car but would be very interested in hearing what a first aid kit should contain for when out stalking.

You can carry as much or as little as you like. As North Dorset says, it's knowing what to do in an emergency that's the real life saver.

totally agree ,everyone should be given first aid training.the equipment is just a bag of stuff without the knowledge to use it.lots of people are against being made to learn anything but its the most useful thing to know.my grandkids are always trying new ways to injure and maim each other and you never know what,s around the corner.

I usually stalk alone up in the Scottish Borders.I carry a first aid kit, whistle,space blanket ,torch,high energy food bars and mobile phone.I also have a spot 2 sos beacon as sometimes no mobile signal.
I carry this in a belt around my waist that also opens into a roe sack should I need to carry a shot roe.

I carry a basic first aid kit with a few additions. Think about how you are likely to injure yourself...so I added a tubigrip bandage in case of ankle or wrist injury and some steri strip sutures for a bad cut. Plus a foil blanket in case of getting stuck out overnight. All of which weighs virtually nothing

Evening,

We always carry first aid kits, it's mandatory by the Forestry Commission if your on their ground,along with a list of other items, GPS, communication of some type etc etc. I would carry first aid kit anyway as said before you never know.

I don't carry a first aid kit. A knife, bino's and a few extra cartridges is more than enough kit to lug about.

Reactions: Kjf
Evening,

We always carry first aid kits, it's mandatory by the Forestry Commission if your on their ground,along with a list of other items, GPS, communication of some type etc etc. I would carry first aid kit anyway as said before you never know.

what does the FC mandate the first aid kit should contain?
Do they insist on some recognised training?
Not picking holes, just curious what there risk assessment sees as the most frequent or likely injury from deer stalking?

Being retired military I always have a small trauma kit. However, in the truck I keep a much more extensive kit for the dogs (that could work on a human too, in a pinch). I have never yet had to treat a human in the field, but have had to treat my own dogs, as well as friends dogs.

I think outside of the box.
My belt can act sling or tourniquet, packet of tissues incase I need a dump or gauze, the actual packet can help to keep it clean. The string off my whistle keep everything together.
And general stuff like that.

Back