Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 suitable

.44 suitable

Hi folks,

Would .44 mag cowboy loads be suitable for wild boar?

Possibly for despatching caged or downed animals but in my very humble opinion a definite NO.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhim View Post
    Hi folks,

Would .44 mag cowboy loads be suitable for wild boar?
    If your a cowboy I'm sure they are just the job. But if your a hunter then get a proper round .270 or above and leave your Stetson at home. Or in answer to your question NO.

you need another 4 on the end, .44+4 = .444

mrhim you mentioned .44 cowboy loads in your original post.

I'm just wondering if you are you aware that a typical .44 load for cowboy action shooting would be a 240 grn bullet at approximately 850 fps. Such a load would only produce a miserable 385 ft/lb of energy well short of a typical .44 magnum load.
    Last edited by 8x57; 19-12-2015 at 21:44.

Not even close to a good choice of round. As has been said, despatching caged/wounded sure but for specifically hunting them no.
    I know in America they shoot their feral
    pigs with allsorts, even .223, but from a British (and European) standpoint it's a terrible choice.

Even at full magnum loads out of a rifle a .44 Magnum only matches a .243 Win. Now some Brits shoot stalked boar with a .243 but they're the exception. If I had to use a .243 or a hot loaded 44 Magnum I'd be reaching for the lever gun but, given the choice, would want something with a bit more thump.

In my opinion approx 2500 ft-lbs is a good guideline and I'd personally like heavier bullets.

I suggest you spend a little more time researching cartridges.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

They are .44 magnum rounds, the term cowboy load refers to the flat head of the round.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    mrhim you mentioned .44 cowboy loads in your original post.

I'm just wondering if you are you aware that a typical .44 load for cowboy action shooting would be a 240 grn bullet at approximately 850 fps. Such a load would only produce a miserable 385 ft/lb of energy well short of a typical .44 magnum load.

I am doing research, hence the question. But thank you for explaining to me so eloquently why you think it's unsuitable.

SD Regular
    I'd disagree. As long as it is capable of penetrating to the vital parts and killing then it is suitable. On any game. Boar or deer.

Too much nonsense is written about "power" of calibres and just the very sort of nonsense that came haf a century ago from the arseholes in the BDS that got 6.5x54MS and the .300 Sherwood banned for use on deer.

Is it suitable? Well I'd raher say that it is adequate, yes provided it is able to penetrate. Not all wild boar are huge. Some are small. Is it optimum? Definitely not.

The old blackpowder .400 and .450 calibre rifles all were getting considerably MORE velocity than any .44 Magnum or many .444 Marlin would ever be able to achieve. Neither come close to those performance figures.

However it would be worth posing the question to MUIR and SOUTHERN whose American input will be based on a broader knowledge of field use of the .44 Magnum. It may be adequate but that doesn't mean that it is optimum. A .375 Winchester would be better.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 21-12-2015 at 04:26.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhim View Post
    They are .44 magnum rounds, the term cowboy load refers to the flat head of the round.
    Then they are .44 magnum loads and not cowboy loads.

I take it then that you are loading or intend loading RNFP bullets to magnum velocities. If so then yes they may just do the job at short range but not the most suitable round for the job. As Jagare said put your cowboy gun aside and use a proper rifle for the job. Yes you may have adequate or even more than adequate bullet diameter but you will still only be sending them on their way with the equivalent initial energy of a .243win.

As a friend of mine who shoots a lot of boar is apt to say "when things go wrong not if things go wrong" when referring to shooting boar with inadequate rifle/ load combinations. Put simply use enough gun for the job and keep you pistol calibre carbines for gallery rifle shooting.
    Last edited by 8x57; 21-12-2015 at 07:55.