Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British Deer Society

British Deer Society

I've been considering joining for ages, anyone have any views on the pros and cons?

Regards

Amhuinnsuidhe

I'm a member of the Yorkshire branch and enjoy all their talks and meet ups etc, why not contact them and see if you can attend a meeting to see if it's for you?

I think the training they offer is second to none. I was however a little let down by the West Group that I tried to join. I hope you have better luck and there is a bit more going on. As an organisation I think they do a lot more good than harm.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Nice shiney informative magazine.

As an active member for many years I am a little biased but I do believe we are a good society. We are there for the promotion of the welfare of Deer, and not a Stalking organisation although we do promote good management practice and training. Join us and give us a go. Most branches do try to organise events to accomodate everyones different interests in Deer.

I am a member and have been for a few years. The magazine is a worthy read most times, but the SE Branch are to me a bit lack lustre and tend to be a bit clicky for me.

ATB

Sikamalc

Amhuinnsuidhe, looking at your location, you would come under the East Anglia branch which run some good events and range days on a private range. Being a member of the BDS is, like so many things, a matter of getting out what you put in. I would give it a go for a year, go to as many events as you can and form your own opinion. Best wishes, JC

The Wessex Branch has some great family get togethers on the South Coast.

The Kids loved the Venison Evening and especially the Air Gun competition held at the Owls Barn Farm Sopley along with the cookery demo, bbq and red deer spit roast

Met some real nice family people.

And as already said a good magazine.

definately recommend

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    The Wessex Branch has some great family get togethers on the South Coast. The Kids loved the Venison Evening and especially the Air Gun competition held at the Owls Barn Farm Sopley along with the cookery demo, bbq and red deer spit roast

Met some real nice family people. And as already said a good magazine. Definately recommend
    Terry

Will second all that Pheasant, Muntjac and others so far have said. I am by turns proud to be a member and shocked that they allow me to be so. Serious training programme that has unresolved tensions with BASC, serious deer welfare education and support of biological science, plus a brilliant photographic element and an excellent magazine as well. As with all clubs or societies, marriages and friendships, one generally gets out what one puts in. Do join and don't be a sponge. Contribute and you'll have great fun and feel good about it too.
    KevinF -

Amhuinnsuidhe

All good points that have been posted.

I have been a member and former chairman of the East Anglia Branch since April 94 so I guess you could say Im for it

I dont get as involved as much as I used to but the presant chair and his committee seem to have it all together.

The events and range days that they organise are well attended and now that they have the use of a private range it does away with some of the problems you have on military ranges.

Join for a year and make up your own mind, its not a fortune, and maybe we will meet up at one of the events.

ATB

Max