British Deer Society

I'm a member of the Yorkshire branch and enjoy all their talks and meet ups etc, why not contact them and see if you can attend a meeting to see if it's for you?

I think the training they offer is second to none. I was however a little let down by the West Group that I tried to join. I hope you have better luck and there is a bit more going on. As an organisation I think they do a lot more good than harm.

ft

As an active member for many years I am a little biased but I do believe we are a good society. We are there for the promotion of the welfare of Deer, and not a Stalking organisation although we do promote good management practice and training. Join us and give us a go. Most branches do try to organise events to accomodate everyones different interests in Deer.

I am a member and have been for a few years. The magazine is a worthy read most times, but the SE Branch are to me a bit lack lustre and tend to be a bit clicky for me.

ATB

Sikamalc

Amhuinnsuidhe, looking at your location, you would come under the East Anglia branch which run some good events and range days on a private range. Being a member of the BDS is, like so many things, a matter of getting out what you put in. I would give it a go for a year, go to as many events as you can and form your own opinion. Best wishes, JC

The Wessex Branch has some great family get togethers on the South Coast.

The Kids loved the Venison Evening and especially the Air Gun competition held at the Owls Barn Farm Sopley along with the cookery demo, bbq and red deer spit roast

Met some real nice family people.

And as already said a good magazine.

definately recommend

Terry

The Wessex Branch has some great family get togethers on the South Coast. The Kids loved the Venison Evening and especially the Air Gun competition held at the Owls Barn Farm Sopley along with the cookery demo, bbq and red deer spit roast

Met some real nice family people. And as already said a good magazine. Definately recommend
Terry

Will second all that Pheasant, Muntjac and others so far have said. I am by turns proud to be a member and shocked that they allow me to be so. Serious training programme that has unresolved tensions with BASC, serious deer welfare education and support of biological science, plus a brilliant photographic element and an excellent magazine as well. As with all clubs or societies, marriages and friendships, one generally gets out what one puts in. Do join and don't be a sponge. Contribute and you'll have great fun and feel good about it too.

Amhuinnsuidhe

All good points that have been posted.

I have been a member and former chairman of the East Anglia Branch since April 94 so I guess you could say Im for it :rolleyes:

I dont get as involved as much as I used to but the presant chair and his committee seem to have it all together.

The events and range days that they organise are well attended and now that they have the use of a private range it does away with some of the problems you have on military ranges.

Join for a year and make up your own mind, its not a fortune, and maybe we will meet up at one of the events.

ATB

Max

Max -

Kudos for your service to the BDS and continued involvement. My pompous advice above was don't be a sponge. You, Sir, are an example to us all.

With thanks!

I've been a member, and let it lapse. I found that some of the people involved at branch level were great and others weren't. they were either in it for what they could get out of it or had some strange ideas about what deer stalking was about. Using deer as nothing more than live targets to practise their long range shooting abilities on, that sort of thing.:evil:

What I found was that you raise the money at local level but have no control over how its spent. Which always tends to pee people off eventually. The social side can be good if you have a decent and active committee, other wise it can be pants.

Your close enough to Thetford why not look into joining St Huberts. Their training is as good as any and better than most, they have a pretty good social side and the are at the very least a Stalking Club run by stalkers for stalkers. Which is more than you can say for the BDS. You only need to take a look through the Deer magazine to see that.

I agree with Emdoc.
I was a member of the NW Branch from 1964/5 until 2003 when a lying scumbag submitted a false`range assessment` to the BDS regarding range facilities I had provided for their use with favourable contour marks removed from the map and firing points shown grossly in the wrong place. At the AGM he distributed a libellous document mentioning me regarding associated matters.
Subsequently I received a letter of apology from the Branch committee and a derisory one from himself.
Myself and others terminated our memberships of the BDS.

In 2004 a senior member of the Branch [one of scumbags ardent supporters] was found guilty of dumping heads, legs and grallochs for Fox bait adjacent to a public highway. He was a BDS internal verifier and assessor, member of the Training committee and a member the Trustee/Directors Board. He resigned his posts but may still be a member.
A report of this matter was published in the Guntrade News Vol.12 , issue 2 , March/April 2004.

Whilst societies may be good in principle their credibility can be wrecked by the actions of a stupid minority.

HWH.

I agree with Emdoc.
I was a member of the NW Branch from 1964/5 until 2003 when a lying scumbag submitted a false`range assessment` to the BDS regarding range facilities I had provided for their use with favourable contour marks removed from the map and firing points shown grossly in the wrong place. At the AGM he distributed a libellous document mentioning me regarding associated matters.
Subsequently I received a letter of apology from the Branch committee and a derisory one from himself.
Myself and others terminated our memberships of the BDS.

In 2004 a senior member of the Branch [one of scumbags ardent supporters] was found guilty of dumping heads, legs and grallochs for Fox bait adjacent to a public highway. He was a BDS internal verifier and assessor, member of the Training committee and a member the Trustee/Directors Board. He resigned his posts but may still be a member.
A report of this matter was published in the Guntrade News Vol.12 , issue 2 , March/April 2004.

Whilst societies may be good in principle their credibility can be wrecked by the actions of a stupid minority.

HWH.

Shame that you had those bad experiences H, the Society has lost out by losing a member of your experience. JC

Shame that you had those bad experiences H,

Agree 100%.

There are some shameful people around. Unfortunately the world of stalking and shooting is not immune from them, despite our need to be the most law abiding sector of the citizenry in order to obtain and then retain our fac's and sc's.

I'm a member and have been for years. If your interest in deer extends beyond simply stalking them then I would recommend joining as a way to increase your knowledge. It's also worth mentioning that the BDS were very quick off the mark to counter the RSPB lead ban offensive at the DI conference - unlike some other organisations.

Agree 100%.

There are some shameful people around. Unfortunately the world of stalking and shooting is not immune from them, despite our need to be the most law abiding sector of the citizenry in order to obtain and then retain our fac's and sc's.

Emdoc. You have a very distinctive way of posting.

"My! What large teeth you have."

Back