Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mm options

7mm options

Having had my licence back, I have a choice of any 7mm cartridge including magnums.
    I'm after a rem mag, however I thought I should ask if there is any other opinions/options that I've not thought about.
    Please bare in mind i have already got a 6.5x55 which i use on just about everything, this is for big stuff, driven boar, big reds etc etc....

Many thanks

You've done well there having the calibre listed but no specific cartridge. Devon and Cornwall aren't usually keen on that due to the massive difference in energy across cartridges of the same calibre.

7x64 or 280 Remington are a nice shout without going to magnums. 7mm Rem Mag is a relatively mild magnum so can't really fault that either.
    Much over that is all well and good but a 7mm RUM may be too much of a good thing for your intended purpose.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

I have three 7mm rifles - a 7mm Rem Mag, a 7mm08 and a Sako in 7 x 33
    I love them all and use the 7mm08 mainly for my stalking. I have to say the 7 x 33 is a MUCH underated round and deserves to be put into the T3 series of rifles.

Oooooh 7x33 is an exotic one. What bullet you run in it? Velocity? Barrel length?

7x33 Sako factory softpoints - 78gr Soft Point at 2450fps - not measured the barrel length but it looks to be around 22 inches.
    I don't like taking it out as the rifle value is rather high!!! Look up Sako L46 if you are interested.
    I thought about converting a Tikka T3 I had to the calibre but sold the rifle when I was threatened with money!
    I've got the dies to reload and reckon the Nosler 90gr Soft Points in 6,8mm paper patched up to 7mm would work well.

So just scrapes in at small deer legal then. Taken it out after deer at all?
    Paper patched .277" would work nicely. Might be worth trying a 100gr in .284" as well like.

Maybe get a custom mould made up? I know you're in to casting your own.

Given you have a 6.5x55 I would look at the 7x64 or 7mm rem mag. Later is a good long range rifle. Or go 7x65r in a kipplauf single shot, combination or drilling

i like the sound of 7x64, and the rem mag still fits the bill as they're far enough away from the 6.5 to justify it..

Heym you read my mind...

7x64 and 280 Rem are basically identical. The 7x64 edges it with slightly more case capacity. Both are pretty much perfect for what you want.
    How far do you realistically shoot?