Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC2 & Thermal

DSC2 & Thermal

OK, I've already got my Level 2 and don't own a thermal unit, but just wondered if a TI would be permitted for use during assessment?

I can't see a TI helping that much. You still have to stalk the deer and get a shot. You could pose the same question about range finders.

... in any case... unless you are using an Apache attack helicopter most TI's have their limitations anyway.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I can't see a TI helping that much. You still have to stalk the deer and get a shot. You could pose the same question about range finders.
    Thanks, just wondered what the 'official' line was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Solutions View Post
    Thanks, just wondered what the 'official' line was.
    That isn't the official line btw. Just my thoughts.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post

... in any case... unless you are using an Apache attack helicopter most TI's have their limitations anyway.
    and a pair of Black jack boots and face paint

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    The criteria state:

Locate and approach deer to a distance where a safe and effective shot can be taken, taking account of the natural features of the location
    Nothing specific in there about how you locate the deer. Personally I found using a thermal imager for spotting deer as "just not cricket", but clearly that's my personal opinion.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

All TI will find you is a white shape! You still have to identify it by type, age and sex, stalk it on foot and then shoot it. No more advantage over a spotting scope or decent set of bino's really. If they were that good we'd all be carrying them!
    It's an interesting question though and would be difficult for an AW to object to, although I suspect it might receive a good frowning upon!
    Much the same as if a candidate chose to shine a lamp on a deer in England/Wales within 1 hour after sunset during a DSC 2 stalk. Perfectly legal, but not quite in the spirit of the award?
    MS
    Reminds me of a post I put up over 5 years ago!

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...t=hypothetical
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 20-12-2015 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    All TI will find you is a white shape! You still have to identify it by type, age and sex, stalk it on foot and then shoot it. No more advantage over a spotting scope or decent set of bino's really. If they were that good we'd all be carrying them!
    Interestingly when I saw it used it was obvious we were looking at a roe doe, couched down under a tree. Even after knowing where it was I couldn't spot it with binos. Given we only have roe and muntjac it was actually pretty easy to identify type and sex, at least for roe.

What I didn't like was that you could scan and see if there was anything there. If not, move on and scan somewhere else. It just seemed "unfair" somehow. Stupid, I know, but I really felt like it was cheating.

Of course if the landowner wants all deer eradicated it would be a very handy tool indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Interestingly when I saw it used it was obvious we were looking at a roe doe, couched down under a tree. Even after knowing where it was I couldn't spot it with binos. Given we only have roe and muntjac it was actually pretty easy to identify type and sex, at least for roe.

What I didn't like was that you could scan and see if there was anything there. If not, move on and scan somewhere else. It just seemed "unfair" somehow. Stupid, I know, but I really felt like it was cheating.

Of course if the landowner wants all deer eradicated it would be a very handy tool indeed.
    If it is so deep in cover that you can't see it with bino's, then you can't see it with a scope or shoot it either, so where is the advantage?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    If it is so deep in cover that you can't see it with bino's, then you can't see it with a scope or shoot it either, so where is the advantage?
    MS
    The advantage is that you know it is there

A thermal image can betray a presence that binoculars cannot see. If that's not an advantage then I am clearly missing something.

Let's take PC 1.5, for example. By knowing a hidden deer was there you have now been able to "Locate" a deer that you otherwise would have missed. You can then "approach" the deer - something you would also not have been able to do if you hadn't known it was there.

Now that your still hidden quarry is within shootable range you have the option of waiting for it to get up and show itself, or of stalking in further.

For those of us lesser mortals who have been known to "bump" deer on occasions - muntjac in brambles for example - I would have classed this as an advantage.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 20-12-2015 at 22:48.