7-08 Factory Ammo

Jono 4

One of my rifles shoots factory Federal 140gn really well, this has a heavy varmit barrel, but I am really struggling to get decent tight groups, sub 1" with the light weight sporter barrel. I would like to try other factory loads but don't know who makes what, any suggestions, at the moment I do not have time to reload.

Would have thought it it what you can actually get that is the thing. Or else it is just a wish list. I would phone the gunshops around your area and see what they can supply and what you can get.

It might be that you flinching with the lighter rifle. Had a acquaintance several years ago that bought a T3 Tactical in 308 then wanted a lighter rifle for wlaking and stalking with so bought a Sako 75 or lightweight T3. Sorry do not remember which but he could not shoot as well with the lighter rifle and that was later proven to be a flinch after he messed up on a Roe Buck on a paid days stalking with it. Heard about it from the gamekeeper as it was me that introduced them both.

One of my rifles shoots factory Federal 140gn really well, this has a heavy varmit barrel, but I am really struggling to get decent tight groups, sub 1" with the light weight sporter barrel. I would like to try other factory loads but don't know who makes what, any suggestions, at the moment I do not have time to reload.
All I can say is find time to reload. I've got a 700 sps and haven't found any factory that will group less than 2 inch. My reloads do 3/4 at least.

All I can say is find time to reload. I've got a 700 sps and haven't found any factory that will group less than 2 inch. My reloads do 3/4 at least.
That is quite a difference. What do you think is the primary change you made: bullets, COAL, type of powder or velocity?

Would have thought it it what you can actually get that is the thing. Or else it is just a wish list. I would phone the gunshops around your area and see what they can supply and what you can get.

It might be that you flinching with the lighter rifle. Had a acquaintance several years ago that bought a T3 Tactical in 308 then wanted a lighter rifle for wlaking and stalking with so bought a Sako 75 or lightweight T3. Sorry do not remember which but he could not shoot as well with the lighter rifle and that was later proven to be a flinch after he messed up on a Roe Buck on a paid days stalking with it. Heard about it from the gamekeeper as it was me that introduced them both.

I thought this could have happened, so asked a keeper mate who was with me to give the rifle a try, he also had the same problem as me with the loads.

Thats the grouping I have been getting would have been a dead deer in each case but not what I would like, the other rifle shoots thumbnail groups but is just to heavy to carry on a good walk, much as I would like to reload I barely get the time to stalk as much as I would like and reloading would reduce this further at the moment.

That is quite a difference. What do you think is the primary change you made: bullets, COAL, type of powder or velocity?
Dammed if I know. I tried 4 different powders. Came down to 2 ram shot tac and h4064. Col. is from book data, charge a bit off max. My next play time is with col. 7-08 rifles have a lot of free bore. I do use Sierra or horadey bullets.

Am glad to hear that you have eliminated a flinch as the problem. Many refuse to even consider such a thing could happen to them. Even though many do not think it so. 1 1/2" groups was the acceptance standard for many makers. That is 5 shots in a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards using off the shelf ammunition but of course many rifles did better than this and grouped under MOA and that is accepted as being 1" at 100 yards.

Perhaps someone local to you could load a few rounds to see if they perform any better? The other suggestion is a trip to a rifle smith to have the rifle carefully examined to see if they can spot anything amiss. Other wise it is go through everything with a fine tooth comb. Check scope mounts, mount bases, stock screws and check the bedding of the stock. Check the barrel crown for burrs by wiping a bit of soft cotton cloth around the crown and see it it snags. Plus of course try a different scope to eliminate that as the problem your not going to like that as it is going to take up time but you are just going to have to chase down the reason or pay someone to do it for you.

I have 7mm08 and Federal Fusion 150 grain only achieve a 2" group. However the Federal Premium Nosler ballistic tip 140 grain through the same rifle are very accurate at 1/2" group if I do my bit.

I have the same with my 25-06 it shoots ragged one hole groups with federal premium and 2" groups with the fusion ammo.

I normally shoot 120 gr Nosler bt reloads through my Sako 708 with a sporter barrel and normally get sub quarter inch groups.
I have just tried some PPU 140 gr sp through it and im getting about the same results but grouping about 1 inch lower than my reloads, I haven't put them across the chrono yet but at £12.50 a box I cant grumble.

Since your rifle doesn't seem to like the faster powders like IMR-4064 and Ramshot TAC with 140 gr bullets, move to a slower powder like 4350 or H-414 / W-760. Start at 42 grains. Max for those powders is 46.5 to 47.4 grains, depending on the brass. And I don't find a long lede ( as much as 0.040" or so) to be a problem with the Sierra 140 and 150-gr in my ( former ) Ruger No.1 7x57, in my 7x57R, or my 7mm-08s ( three). Just load it to SAAMI spec, and somewhere around a full load, I bet groups close up.

Since you have TAC and 4064, try the 120-gr Nosler BT. Work up to 44.0 grains of those ( or Varget or RL-15). Should be 3,000 FPS in a short barrel with cloverleafs.

Am glad to hear that you have eliminated a flinch as the problem. Many refuse to even consider such a thing could happen to them. Even though many do not think it so. 1 1/2" groups was the acceptance standard for many makers. That is 5 shots in a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards using off the shelf ammunition but of course many rifles did better than this and grouped under MOA and that is accepted as being 1" at 100 yards.

Perhaps someone local to you could load a few rounds to see if they perform any better? The other suggestion is a trip to a rifle smith to have the rifle carefully examined to see if they can spot anything amiss. Other wise it is go through everything with a fine tooth comb. Check scope mounts, mount bases, stock screws and check the bedding of the stock. Check the barrel crown for burrs by wiping a bit of soft cotton cloth around the crown and see it it snags. Plus of course try a different scope to eliminate that as the problem your not going to like that as it is going to take up time but you are just going to have to chase down the reason or pay someone to do it for you.

I am not to proud to admit it could have been me, operator error was my first thought, I don't know many stalkers and of those I do, I don't know any who reload 7-08.

I have 7mm08 and Federal Fusion 150 grain only achieve a 2" group. However the Federal Premium Nosler ballistic tip 140 grain through the same rifle are very accurate at 1/2" group if I do my bit.

I have the same with my 25-06 it shoots ragged one hole groups with federal premium and 2" groups with the fusion ammo.

These comments do provide some comfort, as they were the sort of groups I was getting I have some different factory ammo ordered so this will try this as well to see if it groups better, also potential agreed some reloading gear the morning so will have to find the time.

Last edited:
Search for other posts on Fusion ammo - there have ben some problems ;) Winchester do a 140 grain softpoint and Federal also do a 150 grain softpoint which could be worth investigating to see what your local dealer can get.

I am not to proud to admit it could have been me, operator error was my first thought, I don't know many stalkers and of those I do, I don't know any who reload 7-08.

These comments do provide some comfort, as they were the sort of groups I was getting I have some different factory ammo ordered so this will try this as well to see if it groups better, also potential agreed some reloading gear the morning so will have to find the time.

Reloading does not have to take up lots of time many people over complicate things. My first reloading was done on the kitchen table. It was for pistol shooting and a long time ago now. It does not have to cost a small fortune in tools either and with a little thought it is possible to take reloading stuff and reload at the range. Indoors is better due to lack of wind. A reloading press bolted to a piece of wood or even heavy kitchen counter top can be clamped to a workmate. Powder scoops with a set of scales and you can be set.

You can of course go the full hog and get case prep primer pocket uniformers etc ... etc but for your bit of deer stalking do you really need to go that far?

There are even simpler hand tools for reloading rifle cartridges like those from Lee. The Lee Loader.

eBay item number:

Still available in the UK I see as a quick search on ebay has shown. Have never tried them as I bought a Lee turet press back then for the pistol reloading but I read more than once that they work very well.

Last edited:

On a slightly different tack, have you tried changing the moderator that you use with your light weight sporter barrel. I halved the group size with a light weight sporter barrel and Remington ammo by changing from a T8 mod to an AU-S5.

Merry Christmas.

JCS

On a slightly different tack, have you tried changing the moderator that you use with your light weight sporter barrel. I halved the group size with a light weight sporter barrel and Remington ammo by changing from a T8 mod to an AU-S5.

Merry Christmas.

JCS
Not thought of that will become I suspect a case of working through the list of possibles till I see improvements
Thanks and merry Christmas
jono

Back