Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCSO attending unannounced

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

PCSO attending unannounced

I have joined various shooting groups on FB and I get the post notifications on my feed and I was reading one this morning of a chap who had an unannounced visit from his psco to check his firearms security. It wasn't totally clear if this was a standard check before issue or one of the random checks.

I am against unannounced visits for a number of reasons, but to start sending pcso's on a visit just seems bonkers.

If the police turn up unannounced to check your security/firearms keep them waiting on the doorstep until you can independently verify who they are, criminals have been known to impersonate police officers!

atb Tim

Did he/she have a warrant? If not, you can ask them to come back with one.

More importantly, I'd want to know why a PCSO has any interest in firearms anyway. Surely that's a FEO's role, and given that some FEO's seem to know f*ck all about which end goes bang, I'd really worry about letting them anywhere near the contents of mine without someone with a smattering of firearms knowledge.
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 21-12-2015 at 09:54.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    It seems that at one end we hear a lot of Drums banging about more security, more scrutiny and then the role of checks being deferred to PCSO'S? The chap who was talking about it, said the PCSO had a checklist of things to look for....that to me doesn't sound like someone properly trained.

P.S. have been doing unannounced visits on security grounds up here for about a year.
    I agree with most of the views already expressed,especially on verification,as these visits were supposed to be intelligence led only....
    Last edited by Highlandsjohn; 21-12-2015 at 09:26.

Intelligence and firearms law should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

If our local PCSO (Who I know as a personal friend and work closely with regarding security in our block of flats) turned up to do a firearms security check I would want to know exactly why he had been asked to do an inspection. Anyone else other than my FEO I would want verification of who they were!

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    I have joined various shooting groups on FB and I get the post notifications on my feed and I was reading one this morning of a chap who had an unannounced visit from his psco to check his firearms security. It wasn't totally clear if this was a standard check before issue or one of the random checks.

I am against unannounced visits for a number of reasons, but to start sending pcso's on a visit just seems bonkers.
    It would be interesting to know where this occurred. I would also note that this has come to us at least third hand, so although it does sound a bit strange, there may be circumstances which have been lost in the telling.

PCSO's often do house to house enquiries after a crime has been committed and I wonder if a certificate holder in the area has had some guns stolen or perhaps an attempt and therefore this PCSO has been given the task of going around cert. holder's properties in the area to check on them if they think a house with guns in has been targeted specifically.

Or perhaps it is intelligence led in that they have intelligence that a local criminal is after a firearm and they want to check security for that reason, which would not be anything untoward against the cert. holder.

Who knows.

I believe a PCSO can be authorised by his or her chief constable, to act in full or in part as a constable themselves, and if so empowered would have the right to inspect/enquire on security of firearms. I stand ready to be corrected.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Whether authorized or not they would be turned away from my door. There is two ways to inspect the security of my firearms. The first is by prior arrangement with someone I can verify should be doing it and the other is by warrant. As with all these stories there is usually more to them.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk