Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: suggestions for small woodland rifle (calibre and make)

suggestions for small woodland rifle (calibre and make)

I am looking for a basic working rifle for use in the woods, something that I can carry when walking woodland blocks.

I want to be able to tackle Muntjac and hares in young woodland blocks, so long range isn't an issue. It will have a very low magnification scope for locating munti's in cover, and ideally short barrel and moderator (the shorter the better). I keep looking at the older brno fox .222's as a cheap basic rifle to shorten but I'm open to suggestions. The rifle will be either in the truck or used on the quad for lamping work (not deer) so I don't want anything to long and heavy otherwise I will just used my tikka varmint.

I am going to put in for a variation over the new year as I want a calibre that sits between my .22 and .25-06, I am happy to go with more obscure calibres if there is a good reason to

Heym SR44B, if you can find one, if not the I’d look at a Ruger No1.

If you are going to put a moderator on it, a CZ 527 American in .223, with Burris 2-7x35mm or Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35mm.

If no moderator, CZ 527 FS Mannlicher stock carbine in .223 Rem.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieh View Post
    I am looking for a... ...rifle for use in the woods, something that I can carry when walking woodland blocks.

I want to be able to tackle Muntjac and hares in young woodland blocks, so long range isn't an issue. It will have a very low magnification scope for locating munti's in cover, and ideally short barrel and moderator (the shorter the better).
    You won't find many shorter or more point-able rifles, although it would probably fail the 'basic' test, but then it is Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    You won't find many shorter or more point-able rifles, although it would probably fail the 'basic' test, but then it is Christmas

Just had a glance at this & although it's an interesting-looking rifle I'm afraid there's an epic photoshop fail there; have a look at the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    Just had a glance at this & although it's an interesting-looking rifle I'm afraid there's an epic photoshop fail there; have a look at the trigger!

(But maybe that's how it's supposed to be? Perhaps you have to push it? New innovation perhaps? If you click on the smaller picture icon at right of page, you'll see it's the same...)
    Last edited by VSS; 21-12-2015 at 19:37.

Not Photoshopped - it's the cocking lever. Have a read of the specification.

Back to the OP. A short fast handling combination gun in something like 20b/.243 would probably suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    If you take a look at the following video from 1 minute in you will see that the back-to-front trigger is actually the cocking level and that there is a 'button' trigger in the usual place:

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Not Photoshopped - it's the cocking lever. Have a read of the specification.

Back to the OP. A short fast handling combination gun in something like 20b/.243 would probably suit your needs.
    My apologies; you are indeed correct; it's the use of the button for a trigger that convinced me it was wrong as there was no sight of a trigger behind his finger.

They have certainly managed to think outside the box with this one.

You are all thinking about this in a small calibre high velocity approach. Seems wrong to me.

A nice lever action with a 1.24-4x24 scope in 30/30....?

Skip the moderator for this one.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......