14 years old does he need a licence

toad

ok my son I think I hope is going to start coming more often with me stalking . I would like hime to harvest his first deer asap as he has been with me when I have shot deer and he believes he is ready. to stay 100%within the law does anyone know what is required .can he shoot my rifle as an estate rifle on stalking ground where I have permission. can he have a fac at 14 ect ect . I will contact basc but thought amongst this fine collection of folk someone would know . cheers and merry xmas

He would need his own FAC (14 is the minimum age), estate rifle clause can't be used till older (18 I think)

thanks .I wonder if my rifles would have to be printed on his cert
he can have a FAC at 14 and can be gifted a rifle and ammo he cant BUY guns or ammo till he is 18, so putting your guns on his cert is the way to go
this was 1 of the questions on DSC1 which I have just passed :D
Cheers
Ray

he can have a FAC at 14 and can be gifted a rifle and ammo he cant BUY guns or ammo till he is 18, so putting your guns on his cert is the way to go
this was 1 of the questions on DSC1 which I have just passed :D
Cheers
Ray

This is indeed correct. You can then also restrict his access by holding the keys as he will only be able to use or access the rifle on his certificate and must not have access to others.
As crazy as it sounds, he can then go out with a rifle unsupervised if you allow it!:eek:
My lad had a 25.06 and a .22LR on an open ticket at 14 as long as he was supervised by me. It was closed if he was on his own. We only ever go out together anyway but he is now on a longer leash!
Make sure he reads and understands the safety questions and legal part of the DSC 1 manual before the FEO visits. Mine did and it was just as well because he got a good grilling from the FEO. Good to see really as it sends youngsters in the right direction from the beginning.
MS

Back