Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MTP smock

MTP smock

Hi looking for some advice I have a mtp smock that I use out deer stalking I find it much better than any of the big named jackets, the problem I have on the ground I stalk I find the pattern quite light can these jacket be dyed a shade darker green.

SD Regular
    Yes they can - although it may impact some of the treatments in the garment. Beware going too dark - Caorach on here did an excellent photo test of the various camouflages, earlier this year IIRC - MTP came out very well, even in darker backgrounds. It is, at the end of the day, designed as an all round temperate pattern. Perhaps consider German Flecktarn as an alternate before reaching for the dye?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

i'd echo that, MTP is an extremely effective pattern in anything but the closest, darkest woodland - i'd be very wary of doing anything that might compromise it.

if its genuinely a problem in the area you shoot in, use the older DPM - you'll get a smock the same as your MTP one for £15-20 on fleabay. DPM is better in the deep conifer plantations, but its the only environment i've yet found DPM to be better than MTP in.

the only caveat i'd make is that some idiots boil their MTP clothing, which really washes the colour out and makes it a very pale arid type colour - if you've a second hand jacket, this may be your problem. however, unless your smock is almost white, don't get too worried about what it looks like up close to you, its a far more effective pattern at 20 or 100 yards than we think it is.

My favorite thing about MTP is that, following its release, temperate DPM became even cheaper

Got 2 nearly new DPM smocks for sale in classifieds, they are darker problem solved!

Why don't you put it to the test! Get a mate to wear the smock and walk along a hedge or treeline at about 100m away then wear a DPM jacket on his return. You'll how effective MTP is!

DPM is a great all round break-up pattern for UK terrain. I find MTP to be too light, even at a distance. Here's a recent shot of my better half scoping a deer with binos...shows just how effective DPM is in woodland settings, click on photo for larger image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151120_125525_zpsf5c0rbjy.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	64650

I recently compared the new MVP lined smock with a the original S95 MTP smock. The material is noticeably darker than the original S95 kit.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

ChesterP, Great photo just shows how effective that is, cheap aswell ?

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentri View Post
    Hi looking for some advice I have a mtp smock that I use out deer stalking I find it much better than any of the big named jackets, the problem I have on the ground I stalk I find the pattern quite light can these jacket be dyed a shade darker green.
    As other have said, you could buy another smock in DPM, from £15: DPM Windproof Smock - Grade 1 - British Military Surplus.