Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Cannon!

Hand Cannon!

Whilst I'm not a great fan of pistols being held for humane dispatch, (as I believe the privilege is abused by many!), this could actually be a very versatile tool!
    The Bond Derringer 'hand cannon'!
    Available down to about 5" long and capable of firing .410 cartridges as well as .45 Long Colts! Best of both worlds and only two shot.
    See here:
    http://bondarms.com/
    So here's the question for the legal buffs......................
    Can I have one ??????
    MS

Somebody round the ayrshire area has a pistol for humane dispatch capable of firing 410 cartridges

Can I have one??????
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 22-12-2015 at 00:30.

Be interesting to know what recoil is like?

The Thomoson/Centre Arms Contender and Encore single shot pistols have been known as "hand cannons" for many years. They also produce a single shot smooth bore .410 barrel with rifles choke to shoot .45 long colt.

I must say a Glock for HD could quite easily be seen as ott for humane dispatch.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Where's Uncle Norm when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    +1 on that MS, where's Uncle Norm. I remember the Bond derringer being on sale in the U.K. along with the Taurus Judge for humane despatch at one time but weren't they withdrawn from sale for some technical legal reasons? Plus the Bond was ridiculously overpriced.

Scotch_egg I'm not quite sure what you meant when you said "I must say a Glock for HD could quite easily be seen as ott for humane dispatch." isn't .45acp the largest calibre that these pistols are chambered for and the majority that we see in the U.K. are chambered for 9mm para neither exactly what you would really call hand cannons.

P.S. Just done a little bit of digging and came up with the following -
    In May/ June 2010 the Home Office decided the Taurus Judge .410 Shot Pistol was not 5(1)(aba) firearm but a 5(1)(ad) and therefore a prohibited firearm.
    Last edited by 8x57; 22-12-2015 at 06:11.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Just watching with interest and curiosity .

8x57 is correct regarding the Taurus Judge, which is a non-starter as a shot pistol.

The Derringer type could be lawfully possessed as either a humane dispatch pistol (bullet) or a shot pistol if manufactured as a smooth-bore.

If possessed as a shot pistol then the conditions attached to its use would relate to small vermin around buildings etc, assuming the standard conditions were applied. I am aware that some licensing managers apply different conditions to shot pistols that encompass other uses, however that cannot be relied upon.

If rifled, then the Derringer type would be classed as a small firearm and Section 5 unless held on a FAC for certain specified purposes, humane dispatch being one such purpose.

Its several years ago that a small number of gamekeepers, whom I know, acquired the pistol as a .410 shot pistol. They found them quite hopeless and soon exchanged them whilst licking the wounds in their wallets. Based upon their experiences, I doubt that it would be any use for humane dispatch of deer. So don't go there.

I suspect that in rifled (bullet) version, the Derringer type would be equally problematic. Shooting a proper pistol is difficult enough and I would anticipate that one would need to be almost in contact with the animal to be reasonably sure. Others on SD have far greater knowledge of pistol shooting than I.

I am not aware of any reason in Law to prevent the Derringer type being acquired in the rifled version for humane dispatch. There may however be questions asked regarding whether it is actually fit for purpose, when assessing 'good reason'. I think I would want to see it demonstrated before I parted with my cash.

Have a word with Richard Kennett, the manager at Suffolk & Norfolk firearms licensing.

Back in the days when us mere subjects were entrusted with real pistols I had a Rohm derringer in .38spl. It was a modern clone of the famous Remington O/U derringer and purchased as a fun gun. It was certainly fun to use but hopelessly inaccurate never the less I managed to win a couple of pocket pistol shoots with it.
    I was a fair pistol shot yet found it a struggle to hit a figure 11 target in the central scoring zones at 15metres and I can't imagine the Bond derringer being any better, so I fully believe Uncle Norm when he says gamekeepers "found them quite hopeless and soon exchanged them whilst licking the wounds in their wallets."

Last edited by 8x57; 22-12-2015 at 08:34.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I shot one of these in .45 during a recent trip to Kentucky in October. They kick. They kick a lot. Big round in a light pistol means they hammer your wrists, enough that I was not interested in a reload after 2 shots. A small to medium revolver would be a much better option, plus you would not have to get as close. Also, something that small has a much greater chance of falling off you and getting lost as you wander through the woods, cross fences etc..Nice idea but not too practical in the real world.