Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 in or around Wiltshire

DSC1 in or around Wiltshire

Looking to do my DSC1 in the spring as is a mate of mine, can anyone recommend anywhere fairly local to Wiltshire to do it?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    If you're in North Wiltshire you should try Paul Hill (HME) ar Cirencester.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

or you could give Jelen a call, they are not far from you
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    or you could give Jelen a call, they are not far from you
    Who did you use?

SD Regular
    Both will provide you with an excellent course - the checks etc done mean bad course providers are very few and far between. The price is also pretty standard, so it will come down to who runs the course at a time that suits you.
    Make sure you set aside adequate study time prior to the course - quite a lot to take in.....

Most of all enjoy it! I know few who come away from a DSCL1 without enjoying the experience - and learning something. Great opportunity to meet other like minded shooters too.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    If you're in North Wiltshire you should try Paul Hill (HME) ar Cirencester.
    +1
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

+1 For Corinium / Paul Hill

Posted by Tim M on Mar 6th, 2014 Having completed my Level 1 two weekends back, I can thoroughly recommend the course with Corinium. Paul was immensely helpful from start to finish, talking me through via phone last year and most patient when I deferred to the February course. The manual was sent several months before the course, giving plenty of time to read, digest and complete a first run through of the questions. Not having seen or practiced the DSC1 deer target, Paul gave opportunity for me to attend the range for a walk through several weeks before the course. The direction and joining instructions were clear and simple and the course location at the Rural Innovation centre both a comfortable and highly positive learning environment, with the homemade cakes a most delicious and welcome added benefit. The course delivery by Paul was outstanding, relating to the class as only “one of us” can, balancing clear and straight forward best practice instruction with real world experience and a small measure of off-topic discussion for added interest. The purpose built range facilities for the shooting test and safety walk around test are also excellent, with the over-head cover on the firing point most appreciated during inclement weather. All in all, an immensely enjoyable and well delivered course with a consummate professional. If I don’t pass any of the DSC1 elements first time, it won’t be due to Paul's outstanding instruction or the course as a whole. Thanks Paul
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Who did you use?
    Jelen even got my ugly mug in Sporting Shooter at the same time (sitting next to the Editor during the photoshoot didn't hurt )
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

you could try simon freedman from reeves deer management hes running a course with the bds in march in oxfordshire tel 01491671607

Theres a number of options in / near to Wiltshire. Paul up at Cirencester is a decent and knowledgable chap I've been up to his range a number of times and I'd imagine he's good at instructing the course. Mike at Jelen down near Stockbridge is also a sound guy and I've done a couple of courses with him, good instruction and facilities. My final option is where I did mine a number of years ago with the BDS east of Andover just of the A303, the instructor was hugely knowledgable but well wasn't a people person....

So on reflection having subsequently had dealings with Paul and Mike I'd vouch for ether I guess it depends where your located.

One bit of advice, do as much study as you can prior to the course there's a lot to absorb over just a few days...

All the best with it.

WH
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -