DSC1 in or around Wiltshire

Both will provide you with an excellent course - the checks etc done mean bad course providers are very few and far between. The price is also pretty standard, so it will come down to who runs the course at a time that suits you.
Make sure you set aside adequate study time prior to the course - quite a lot to take in.....

Most of all enjoy it! I know few who come away from a DSCL1 without enjoying the experience - and learning something. Great opportunity to meet other like minded shooters too.

+1 For Corinium / Paul Hill

Posted by Tim M on Mar 6th, 2014 Having completed my Level 1 two weekends back, I can thoroughly recommend the course with Corinium. Paul was immensely helpful from start to finish, talking me through via phone last year and most patient when I deferred to the February course. The manual was sent several months before the course, giving plenty of time to read, digest and complete a first run through of the questions. Not having seen or practiced the DSC1 deer target, Paul gave opportunity for me to attend the range for a walk through several weeks before the course. The direction and joining instructions were clear and simple and the course location at the Rural Innovation centre both a comfortable and highly positive learning environment, with the homemade cakes a most delicious and welcome added benefit. The course delivery by Paul was outstanding, relating to the class as only “one of us” can, balancing clear and straight forward best practice instruction with real world experience and a small measure of off-topic discussion for added interest. The purpose built range facilities for the shooting test and safety walk around test are also excellent, with the over-head cover on the firing point most appreciated during inclement weather. All in all, an immensely enjoyable and well delivered course with a consummate professional. If I don’t pass any of the DSC1 elements first time, it won’t be due to Paul's outstanding instruction or the course as a whole. Thanks Paul

you could try simon freedman from reeves deer management hes running a course with the bds in march in oxfordshire tel 01491671607

Theres a number of options in / near to Wiltshire. Paul up at Cirencester is a decent and knowledgable chap I've been up to his range a number of times and I'd imagine he's good at instructing the course. Mike at Jelen down near Stockbridge is also a sound guy and I've done a couple of courses with him, good instruction and facilities. My final option is where I did mine a number of years ago with the BDS east of Andover just of the A303, the instructor was hugely knowledgable but well wasn't a people person....

So on reflection having subsequently had dealings with Paul and Mike I'd vouch for ether I guess it depends where your located.

One bit of advice, do as much study as you can prior to the course there's a lot to absorb over just a few days...

All the best with it.

WH

Thanks chaps

Will likely come down to who has what dates available as we're looking for February or March, my mates preference if feb, mine is March as he has no kids so plenty of time to swat up!

I have a course running from 12th - 14th March 2016, with places currently available. I think the testimonials say enough.

Regards

HME

I can vouch for Mike at Jelen Deer services, I did my ADM course with them. Courses tend to be informal and relaxed but very informative and Mikes depth of knowledge is impressive. I believe as a DSC1 candidate you also get the benefit of an online pre course study package thrown in which takes the pressure out of the actual course as your already familiar with the subjects to be studied and assessed.
Good luck with the course whoever you choose.
Al

Well we've booked in with Paul today, turns out the training is done 15 miles away so hopefully come March I'll gain the qualification

I'm not sure Paul will still agree with this suggestion :camo:, since there were originally one or two incorrect answers found in their tests (I certainly brought at least one to their attention while I was doing the pre-course study for my DSC1). However, to help get through the exam by practicing the entire bank of questions the 'written' tests will be taken from, I found http://www.dsctraining.org/ exceptionally helpful. I repeated the whole exam tests time after time until I was consistently scoring well over 80% each time. As the site is a £10 monthly subscription, you don't need many months so long as you commit to some intense study. I paid for two and needed another 7-10 days I think it was from memory and I can't remember the exact reason why, but the site owner even kindly extended my subscription for me for those extra few days free of charge.

Regardless, enjoy the course, Paul really is an absolutely outstanding instructor, interesting, engaging and even injecting humour when appropriate. Best of British with a first time pass also.

Last edited:
you could try simon freedman from reeves deer management hes running a course with the bds in march in oxfordshire tel 01491671607

Please Note, Reeves Deer Management are running a DMVQ level 1 course in March 2016, just to clarify this course is not in fact run in conjunction with the BDS. Please contact REEVES on 01491671607 or 01491671648, for further information about the course etc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Paul will still agree with this suggestion :camo:, since there were originally one or two incorrect answers found in their tests (I certainly brought at least one to their attention while I was doing the pre-course study for my DSC1). However, to help get through the exam by practicing the entire bank of questions the 'written' tests will be taken from, I found http://www.dsctraining.org/ exceptionally helpful. I repeated the whole exam tests time after time until I was consistently scoring well over 80% each time. As the site is a £10 monthly subscription, you don't need many months so long as you commit to some intense study. I paid for two and needed another 7-10 days I think it was from memory and I can't remember the exact reason why, but the site owner even kindly extended my subscription for me for those extra few days free of charge.

Regardless, enjoy the course, Paul really is an absolutely outstanding instructor, interesting, engaging and even injecting humour when appropriate. Best of British with a first time pass also.

Just had a quick play on the sample test, think I will sign up on the 12th so I get 2 months before the course, i can do a test on my lunchbreak at work. Thanks for the link.

Just an update to the thread.

Carried out the course with Paul at Corinium over the weekend with the assessment yesterday, I don't wish to count my chickens but feedback at least was good so I'm quietly confident. Paul was an excellent teacher and a bonus was the fallow buck he shot an hour before we started on the saturday, meaning we had a live 'hands on' gralloch and inspection demonstration to kick things off, this not only meant we saw how it should be done in the flesh but settled everyone into he course well. I know this was more a lucky coincidence as the grassing of the fallow and the course just happened to coincide so i couldn't say it would happen for everyone but I think all the feedback for this was good so who knows.

All in all a good informative weekend, thanks Paul.

I would also add that I found 2 months of lunchtimes spent on http://www.dsctraining.org/ was a very good way to learn the course content so for anyone revising currently I'd take a look!

Last edited:
Back