Thread: 20b , 3" shotguns and steel shot cartridges.

20b , 3" shotguns and steel shot cartridges.

Are 3" chambered 20b shotguns safe/strong enough to shoot HV steel cartridges. With adepted chokes ofcourse. Is there any gunsmith on here who could give an answer ? We must shoot non-toxic shot in all circumstances ( Flemish law) , so steel is the only practical and affordable answer. We mostly shoot low pressure cartridges, but as 3" guns have magnum proof I just ask myself the question if they are safe with high pressure steel cartridges.

Aren't guns suitable for steel normally marked with the Fleur de lys proof mark?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    Are 3" chambered 20b shotguns safe/strong enough to shoot HV steel cartridges. With adepted chokes ofcourse. Is there any gunsmith on here who could give an answer ? We must shoot non-toxic shot in all circumstances ( Flemish law) , so steel is the only practical and affordable answer. We mostly shoot low pressure cartridges, but as 3" guns have magnum proof I just ask myself the question if they are safe with high pressure steel cartridges.
    i shoot a browning 725 in 20 gauge 3" proofed for steel shot, the only difference I can see is some chokes are marked for steel and it is the choke gauge which determines that it is suitable for steel ???