Thread: Best Trail Cam for long term positioning, MSN TXTing with solar backup

Best Trail Cam for long term positioning, MSN TXTing with solar backup

I've read most of the posts on trail cams, there's loads but I'm still not sure what I should buy.

I want to leave a camera up on one of my permissions to see what wildlife and trespassers come down the track.

I want it to txt or email me pics on a daily basis.

I don't want to be having to go back to it on a regular basis so battery life or solar attachment facility are important.

It will have to be located quite high up to prevent detection and theft. So good range is important. GPS signalling would be useful in case it does get nicked.

Obviously flashes, red or white would not be very helpful!

So any idea what would fit the bill?

Many thanks,

The first thing you need to check is that you have a good signal where you intend to set up the cam.
    Paul

I've had an Acorn cam out for 4 months and counting with photos being sent to me and video recorded on the card. Batteries are still reading as full (good quality lithium is a must). I'm not using solar but you can link it up and it will work concurrently along with the batteries. Aftermarket/directional antennas can also be utilized if the phone signal needs something more to receive and send.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Good point, will these txt cameras work on 3G or has it got to be 4G?

Teckelberry, what happens to your SDcard when it gets full? Dos it just stop recording or does it over record the older stuff?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tedsalad View Post
    Good point, will these txt cameras work on 3G or has it got to be 4G?

Teckelberry, what happens to your SDcard when it gets full? Dos it just stop recording or does it over record the older stuff?

Thanks
    At least 2 bars of signal but apparently you can get them working with a yagi antenna when there is very little mobile phone signal.

Get a big SD card but you needn't worry unless you are recording video in high quality and it's triggered regularly. You can set them to overwrite or to stop when full.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Google Ron Burys Wildlife. He seems to be the UK acorn cam guru and was very helpful when I consulted him for setup advice.
    www.deercentral.co.uk