Xmas box for permission

norma 308

That time of year ,
for those that have a permission for shooting be it vermin or deer what do you give the farmer at Xmas ,
I took an old farmer his today a nice little selection of food and wine from waitrose ,cheese ,chutney ,biscuits and jam Ect .
one of the only times I shop at waitrose but it still works out very very cheap stalking .came away with the permission for another year and he even gave me a bottle of nice port in return :D
norma

Every little helps , it's the thaught that counts

I use to take a cheese and biscuits and mini bottles of spirits around to a farmer I new very well for years and years

he stopped me the one year and said he really appreciates the gesture but he don't eat cheese and he didn't drink lol

i said why do you have so many bottles of booze then ? He said people buy it for him for birthdays and Xmas and he just puts it to one side

:)

I never went the cheese route! I get a case of wine from my mate who brings it from France and take a full day driving round and give them a bottle or two or three depending on how good the place is!!

Bottle of champagne and a decent bottle of red , they always seem surprised when I drop it off and very grateful. Considering I don't pay to shoot their ground it's the least I can do!

Dropped an expensive bottle of red and a big bag of venison steaks off yesterday to one of my permissions.
Ironically they won't let me shoot deer there... yet!
Hoping they grow to like venison enough to extend my permission to deer.
Other ground where I shoot deer they won't eat venison and are very snobbish about wine so no point giving them booze as they will only cook with it. So last year bought them a young oak tree impregnated with truffles and a box of choc truffles. That went down very well.

6 bottles of nice mixed wine from Waitrose including a bottle of something sparkly for each easy as they will allow mixed cases, mind you one farmer took me for a days driven partridge as a thank you for shooting his deer.

I gave a box of celebrations to 2 of my permissions today and got a 2 stone bag of potatoes back of 1 farm and 6 weeks building work off the other farm.
Neither farmer wanted any thing off me, they just like me to go when they ask me to or when i can.

bob

A Good port for him and choc's from a well known store in London for herself its a small offering but I feel I should do something by way of thanks
atvb
Paul

Does anyone ever receive anything for the work they put into pest control all year or is it all one way towards the farmers ?

Does anyone ever receive anything for the work they put into pest control all year or is it all one way towards the farmers ?[/QUOT

Well put it this way what does your best control amount to, roaming about with a rifle looking for a shot at a deer
sucessful then you have the venison payment enough, foxing what do you do a bit of lamping then it's sport, are you doing dens with terriers snaring foxes then you have a right to some sort of payment but if you are getting the deer stalking then dealing with the vermin should be payment enough.
Rabbits pigeons etc are yours to sell so again you are being paid.

Cant believe how people think they are helping farmers by roaming around with a gun, if you are controlling pests
with traps and snares then you are doing a pest control job and would expect to be paid, roaming around with a gun is sport and most people pay for their sport not the other way round.

Does anyone ever receive anything for the work they put into pest control all year or is it all one way towards the farmers ?[/QUOT

Well put it this way what does your best control amount to, roaming about with a rifle looking for a shot at a deer
sucessful then you have the venison payment enough, foxing what do you do a bit of lamping then it's sport, are you doing dens with terriers snaring foxes then you have a right to some sort of payment but if you are getting the deer stalking then dealing with the vermin should be payment enough.
Rabbits pigeons etc are yours to sell so again you are being paid.

Cant believe how people think they are helping farmers by roaming around with a gun, if you are controlling pests
with traps and snares then you are doing a pest control job and would expect to be paid, roaming around with a gun is sport and most people pay for their sport not the other way round.

The real world voice of common sense and reason, as ever. :thumb:

I don't treat lamping foxes as sport, yes it's fun. To me it's a serious job that I do to control Fox numbers on their sheep farms. Their lambing would ***** if I didn't do what I did, the local wildlife benefit hugely too. I don't charge, have thought about it. It's not cheap going out weekend after weekend, vehicle has to be fuelled, repaired, taxed and insured, lamps bought/ repaired, rifle, scope bullets and time x3. Farmers wouldn't pay the rate needed to cover my costs, the small number of deer I shoot cover very little of my costs. Would I pay to shoot someone's vermin? Not directly to the farmer but with all my costs I do.

I don't treat lamping foxes as sport, yes it's fun. To me it's a serious job that I do to control Fox numbers on their sheep farms. Their lambing would ***** if I didn't do what I did, the local wildlife benefit hugely too. I don't charge, have thought about it. It's not cheap going out weekend after weekend, vehicle has to be fuelled, repaired, taxed and insured, lamps bought/ repaired, rifle, scope bullets and time x3. Farmers wouldn't pay the rate needed to cover my costs, the small number of deer I shoot cover very little of my costs. Would I pay to shoot someone's vermin? Not directly to the farmer but with all my costs I do.

You do it of your own free will and don't ask for anything in return, No cause for complaint then. Either you get enjoyment from it (so it has a value to you) or you have a tremendous community sprit, or your a mug.......

You had a little slug out the damsun gin didn't you :D
Norma

....ermm.....I know what it looks like!

But.....
(a) I could squeeze the blackberries more than I could the damsons, hence more liquid
AND
(b) I made loads of everything, so there's plenty for me anyway! :cool:

20151224_115212.jpg

Cheers! :D

Back