Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermal

Thermal

I'm seriously looking into getting into the thermal imagers for increasing my success rate. Not interested in hearing about "Oh, that's giving you the upper hand","unfair advantage", etc, etc! I know this, this is why I'm wanting it! It's woodland management, not deer management I do, yes I enjoy it!

Wanting input put about the Pulsar HD38 and HD50 only, not interested in hearing about other types, I know there are plenty "Other" types out there.

Advantages and Disadvantages of each from people who've actually used the equipment.

Thank You
    North Stalker.

where are you in Scotland?

I have the HD38S, and I'm very happy with it. I can spot things much further than I can shoot, but it does take a bit of practice learning just what you're looking at, especially in the woods, where you may only see a very small area of an animal, & have to work out the scale/distance.

I have tried a friends HD50S, and they do give a marginally better resolution, but not enough for me to change.

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    where are you in Scotland?
    East of Inverness

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    I have the HD38S, and I'm very happy with it. I can spot things much further than I can shoot, but it does take a bit of practice learning just what you're looking at, especially in the woods, where you may only see a very small area of an animal, & have to work out the scale/distance.

I have tried a friends HD50S, and they do give a marginally better resolution, but not enough for me to change.
    Thanks, the difference in cost is marginal, I could probably get the 50 for the price of a 38 if I shopped about.

Quote Originally Posted by North Stalker View Post
    East of Inverness

Thanks, the difference in cost is marginal, I could probably get the 50 for the price of a 38 if I shopped about.
    But then, the HD38S would still be cheaper

If money isn't an issue, have a look at the newer XD's, some say they are better again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    But then, the HD38S would still be cheaper
    I know what you mean....

The HD50S has a 50mm focal length objective lens while the HD38S has a 38mm focal length objective lens.
    Other than that they are identical
    The HD50S has a slightly higher magnification than the HD38S and a correspondingly narrower field of view.
    The new XD models have the same lens, sensor and display as the old models, but a with a couple of software bells and whistles added which, IMHO are not worth the extra cost.
    Grahams in Inverness had the best price I could find (2592 for the HD50S)

Cheers

Bruce

a chap said to me if you want to go for TI buy in Euros not Sterling, you will understand when you look!

HD50:
    + :
    Improved my success rate on Muntjac by at least 50%;
    Use it 80% of hunting time and bino now only 20% of the time
    Great for counts/surveys as well
    Without the Thermal I now feel severely disadvantaged when out hunting

- :
    Expensive
    Battery cartridges are badly designed and fail often, most need replacing soon, only to fail as well.
    Lens cap doesn't close properly
    Mounting points for straps double up as mounting points for high capacity battery and video recorder, the designer didn't imagine you may want to use both at the same time.
    With high capacity batterer and/or video recorded mounted it doesn't fit in the supplied bag.
    Not waterproof
    No built-in slot for SD card so requires proprietary add-on video recorded which is expensive and badly built
    Be aware of thermal and bino clanging into each other in particular when scaling fences or gates
    BIS Export license required in case of a warranty claim if you bought it abroad in the Eurozone

Recommended Euro shop for excellent fast service and delivery and save some 20% on UK retail prices: http://www.jvs-outdoor.com/
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....