Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rook calibre Identification

Rook calibre Identification

Gday All

recently purchase a rook rifle that was supposed to be .360 Rook - it isn't.

Bore cast reveals following: case length 1.19, rim diam .400"", base .346"and neck .345" and the rim was .046 thick.

I cant seem find anything in Fleming or Hoyem that matches.

Doesn't seem to be .300 rook or Sherwood either.

So if anyone has any ideas or can give me the dimensions of their own rook rifles that are in the ball park
    it would be most helpful.

regards

Blue

You say bore cast but do you have the actual bore measurements?

Typically, I've just travelled 400 miles away from my Cartridges of the World otherwise I'd love to be more help.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Something to do with a 9mm Flobert? Could be totally wrong. The one I had could shoot the longer cases with fine bird shot and short cases with either 9mm ball or 9mm cone points.
    edi

Does the bore have any visible rifling?

Quote Originally Posted by bluelamb View Post
    Gday All recently purchase a rook rifle that was supposed to be .360 Rook - it isn't. Bore cast reveals following: case length 1.19, rim diam .400"", base .346"and neck .345" and the rim was .046 thick. I cant seem find anything in Fleming or Hoyem that matches. Doesn't seem to be .300 rook or Sherwood either. So if anyone has any ideas or can give me the dimensions of their own rook rifles that are in the ball park it would be most helpful. regards Blue
    That'll almost certainly be the .310 Greener (.310 Cadet) which was very popular in Australia as a training round (Martini I think). I'm not sure it is a Rook round as such, and is still loaded by Kynamco over here.

You can shorten & convert .32-20 Win cases by skimming the rim, but the .32 Winchester Self Loading (discontinued c. 1920 sadly) is a much easier prospect.

Just waiting for the exact verdict on the latter.
    Last edited by Sinistral; 24-12-2015 at 13:45.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Edi

nope no 9mm Flobert - I have one of those as a garden gun for ball and a Win model 36 bolt action shotgun. Good thing
    Fiocchi and RWS still make ammo for them.

Gday Jim

yes those measurements above are exact bore measurements. The cast was done using a product similar to cerrosafe, very low
    melting point, put a wad about 5mm into the lands, pour the metal into the clean chamber (I use carby cleaner), wait 5 minutes
    and tape the cast out with a cleaning rod. The advantage of this stuff is that it expands to fit the bore and remains in that state for
    about an hour and then it will shrink a bit.

The used use for dental dams as well.

BLue

yes, rifling is visible have attached a photo of the result of slugging the barrelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	slug 001.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	64733

Quote Originally Posted by bluelamb View Post
    Gday Jim

yes those measurements above are exact bore measurements. The cast was done using a product similar to cerrosafe, very low
    melting point, put a wad about 5mm into the lands, pour the metal into the clean chamber (I use carby cleaner), wait 5 minutes
    and tape the cast out with a cleaning rod. The advantage of this stuff is that it expands to fit the bore and remains in that state for
    about an hour and then it will shrink a bit.

The used use for dental dams as well.

BLue
    Cheers mate, I missread the OP. That .345" neck is throwing me. I'll be home on 30th so can have a gander then. What did the bore slug at?
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

All the diameters are very close to the '32 Ideal', but the case length is closer to the '300(295) Rook Rifle'.