Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the view on SACS??

What's the view on SACS??

I've been in BASC for some time now, I still think they do a lot of good but have come under fire recently for various reasons. I've been looking at the Scottish Association of Country Sports (SACS) and have heard some good reports about the organisation. Most of my stalking is done in Scotland and I do travel back and forth to N Ireland a bit and I hear they have a deal with the ferry companies.

Anyone a member??

Account Suspended
    There was a big debate on BBS about12-14 months ago about what they said their insurance covered and what it actually covered. I lost interest about a 1/3 of the way through. There's some, lets call them "unsavoury types" associated with the SACS, dogmen and ex-dogmen and their like. Personally I prefer to stay as disassociated with that sort as much as possible and as far as away possible.

Join the SGA, their insurance cover is bigger for a start 10M.

Stick with BASC, still the best choice despite the recent bad press IMO.

SACS insurance is also 10m

I have been a member since leaving BASC a couple of years ago and have had no problems whatsoever with them. Ian Clarke (the director) is very approachable and helpful.

I also like to disassociate myself from unsavoury types. Any more information regarding their involvement with SACS would be appreciated Emdoc?

Quote Originally Posted by Emdoc View Post
    There was a big debate on BBS about12-14 months ago about what they said their insurance covered and what it actually covered. I lost interest about a 1/3 of the way through. There's some, lets call them "unsavoury types" associated with the SACS, dogmen and ex-dogmen and their like. Personally I prefer to stay as disassociated with that sort as much as possible and as far as away possible.

Join the SGA, their insurance cover is bigger for a start 10M.
    Sacs,is a great organisation,and,they will help you far more than BASC will,and as far as the insurance is concerned,theirs covers you for 10million as well,but,the cost of membership is just 30.00!!!
    Well worth it,and,I am sure that just as many unsavoury types belong to any one of the organisations including the NGO....we all know what sonme of them get upto don't we!

'M'

Don't forget that SACS also provide 100,000 legal fees insurance for their members as well and appear to be willing to get involved in supporting their membership with FAC issues, (which the legal fees insurance will cover ). BTW their insurers are NFU Mutual so I can't see any problems with the underwritten cover. They also offer an 'enhanced' insurance for those offering accompanied paid stalking with other benefits available for just 40!

After considering my options very carefully I've recently joined them and been impressed with the contact from Ian Clarke right from the off. No doubt this is all part and parcel of joining a small(ish) organisation but I thought this quote taken from the magazine article about providing NI stalkers with a one day 100 alternative to DSC1 as a route to obtaining deer on their FAC was telling:

"There are many people in NI who wish to shoot deer, but who for various reasons do not want to be forced to join BASC to obtain the DMQ Level 1, and it is well known that SACS is not prepared to accept that, or that the DMQ Level 1 is the only acceptable course.

We have two issues here – firstly, that this is not a
    legal requirement or even guidance to police anywhere else in the UK, and to ‘impose’ it in NI is unfair and discriminatory against sportsmen there. Some Chief Constables in GB do try to insist on it as well, but if the applicant stands firm, particularly if he is a SACS member and covered by our legal fees insurance, the Chief Constable has to back off, because the courts will implement the law, not a CC’s policy if that is not contained in the law."

Maybe some point scoring with the 'joining BASC to get a DSC1' but some on here may find the section above that I've highlighted in red to be quite persusive for joining SACS no matter where you live in the UK.

Here's a link to the current magazine .pdf - article on page 15 http://www.sacs.org.uk/Sacs/Current%20Magazine.pdf
    Last edited by Orion; 13-05-2010 at 16:44.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    I am sure that just as many unsavoury types belong to any one of the organisations including the NGO....we all know what sonme of them get upto don't we!
    If you know for certain you should say. The SGA and the NGO take a very dim view of any member breaking the law. They usually get booted out!

Where as dogmen, well!

SD Regular
    Stick with BASC, still the best choice despite the recent bad press IMO.
    I have, this year, indeed "stuck with BASC". But my renewal has just cost me 66! There is a "tipping point" at which that cost will become just too much. For me that will be when it passes the 70 to 75 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Emdoc View Post
    If you know for certain you should say. The SGA and the NGO take a very dim view of any member breaking the law. They usually get booted out!
    My point exactly.
    If you would prefer to tell me who the "unsavoury types" are within SACS by PM, I will totally understand. I will, of course, then name them on the forum myself for everyone to see.
    After all, I wouldn't want to be thought of as gossip mongering or spreading unfounded rumours. Evidence is evidence after all!

Quote Originally Posted by manc-munsters View Post
    My point exactly.
    If you would prefer to tell me who the "unsavoury types" are within SACS by PM, I will totally understand. I will, of course, then name them on the forum myself for everyone to see.
    After all, I wouldn't want to be thought of as gossip mongering or spreading unfounded rumours. Evidence is evidence after all!
    Ah, a man after my own heart.

I see that you also enjoyed that excellent panel show 'Call My Bluff'.

BTW. I forgot to say that included in the rather comprehensive SACS insurance package that I mentioned in my post above, is Employers Liability which will cover trainee stalkers, helpers, beaters, pickers-up etc. etc. who may be assisting you. The insurance will also cover a GB resident member anywhere in the world for a myriad of country pursuits. Also SACS have an open invitation to members to suggest any additional cover that they think might be missing and SACS will have it added!
    Last edited by Orion; 13-05-2010 at 19:31.