Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone help finding this?

Anyone help finding this?

My dads uncle.

My Dads uncle Jimmy, a local coal merchant and household supplier before during and after the 2nd war was featured in all the national press for his actions i will tell later. What i was wondering was can any of you internet detectives find any archive of the reported morale boosting act?
    OK.... Mr James Nimmo, coal & general merchant of St Ninians near Stirling during 1943 was exiting Annfield Park the then home of Stirling Albion Football club where they were playing a home game on a Saturday. A british army open truck passed by carrying about two dozen German POW's about ten of whom were standing up waving a German flag shouting "Deutchland Uber Alles" to the annoyance of the crowd. Said James Nimmo chased the speeding truck for a fair distance and climbed into the back and proceeded to knock any standing prisoners spark out and then burnt their flags on the road. He was a big man with hands "like hammers" and the national press jumped on it doing his coal sales no harm at all. The prisoners landed at the Raploch airstrip just below Stiring Castle and were heading to their camp in Denny 5 miles away.
    Can anyone trace a cutting or reference of this event as it's my fathers 90th birthday mid January and i would love to give him a wee reminder of that crazy day?
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 25-12-2015 at 18:20.

Any record of that event would have to qualify for a brill xmas card, I think you might get some progress with local plod?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sent you a pm.

Chris

Thanks Chris!!
    Apparantly Jona Lewie wanted to include the scenario in his Christmas hit!

It might be worth contacting "The observer" and seeing if there is any mention of this in their archives.

I can't help at all, but it's a brilliant story, so thanks for sharing it R-D.

interesting story never knew denny had a POW camp

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonevo View Post
    interesting story never knew denny had a POW camp
    http://www.dennydunipaceheritage.org...war%20camp.pdf

seems more Italian than German POWs.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

RD

how about a trip to a local old peoples home and ask if you could chat to some of the residents?

Apart from possibly getting some info, I'm sure you'd make some peoples day just having a chat.... Something to do when it's raining one day?

Just a thought...

WH
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

Quote Originally Posted by White Hart View Post
    RD

how about a trip to a local old peoples home and ask if you could chat to some of the residents?

Apart from possibly getting some info, I'm sure you'd make some peoples day just having a chat.... Something to do when it's raining one day?

Just a thought...

WH
    they wouldn't let him out again someone had to say it!!