Thread: Tikka chamber size

Tikka chamber size

Right guys I have 2 Tikka's an old but great M65 in .270 & a brand new 204 T3.
    My old 270 shot Winchester silver tips (soft point not BT) for years & they seated in the case perfectly at the crimp mark at 1.000 off the LANs when I needed a new round I really struggled to find a head that fitted the chamber just off the LANs & have enough left in the case to hold it, plus fitted in the mag,
    now I have a brand new T3 in 204 Ruger I'm having the same problem with this rifle it's becoming a real pain I wanted to shoot 39g blitz kings but if I seat them just off the LANs there's nothing in the case & they won't fit in the mag, & Hornady 32gr are no better,
    I wonder what Tikka chamber their rifles to or if anyone else has had this problem, I know this might sound a bit Anal & it dose shoot 1" groups with factory which is seated with a long jump to the LANs maybe 4mm but I'd like to know.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I have had four Tikkas, now down to three after giving one .223 away. Of the remaining rifles, one is a .223, the others 7-08 and 308. All of these rifles shoot half MOA seated to SAAMI length in Full Length Resized cases. Chasing the lands isn't necessary in a factory chamber. Seat deep and work on perfecting your technique.~Muir

As I said I don't have accuracy issues shot foxes at 500 yds with the 270 & crows at 250+ with 204, I just wondered?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have had four Tikkas, now down to three after giving one .223 away. Of the remaining rifles, one is a .223, the others 7-08 and 308. All of these rifles shoot half MOA seated to SAAMI length in Full Length Resized cases. Chasing the lands isn't necessary in a factory chamber. Seat deep and work on perfecting your technique.~Muir
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Sorry. I guess what I said badly is that I don't know whether or not the Tikkas have long throats because I never load off the lands and never found it necessary. I shoot pint-sized prairiedogs at 450 yards with the .223 seated to SAAMI spec. ~Muir