Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A bad workman always blames his tools

A bad workman always blames his tools

I have been having a little giggle at those "experienced" shots commenting on rifles that don't group, or plastic stocks that are rubbish. Here is a revelation its not the rifle its the shooter! why?

Well for staters most modern rifles shoot far more accurately than most shooters can shoot. The barrels are machined by CNC far more accurately and repeatable than all but the most gifted of humans. plastic is not susetable to the same internal strains and stress as wood.

If you use the same batched factory bullets, cartridges etc and shot the same way every time the shots should be grouped. Assuming the scope is fitted correctly and screwed down. Now there are many things you can do to improve the group, such as chemical lubrications for the barrel, home loading etc. but at the end of the day the biggest thing to affect the shot group is you!

Now we are all different and some rifles do shoot better in one persons hands than another, but a good shot can usually pick up any rifle and produce a resonable group.

So when experienced shots complain that remington are crap and rugers are rough but go with a cz because they shoot amazing, just wonder why are remmington/ruger one of the largest arms manufacturers in the world. Because the produce cheap accurate rifles that work day in day out in all weathers for the masses.

So don't be swayed in to spending vast amounts on a rifle, spend more on the scope is the secret!
    In regione caecorum rex est luscus

I will go with that.
    Minute of deer is about 4 inches.

The pumping ticker and uncomfortable position when taking a shot cause a lot of problems. been there once done that!!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Hodadr View Post
    I have been having a little giggle at those "experienced" shots commenting on rifles that don't group, or plastic stocks that are rubbish. Here is a revelation its not the rifle its the shooter! why?

Well for staters most modern rifles shoot far more accurately than most shooters can shoot. The barrels are machined by CNC far more accurately and repeatable than all but the most gifted of humans. plastic is not susetable to the same internal strains and stress as wood.

If you use the same batched factory bullets, cartridges etc and shot the same way every time the shots should be grouped. Assuming the scope is fitted correctly and screwed down. Now there are many things you can do to improve the group, such as chemical lubrications for the barrel, home loading etc. but at the end of the day the biggest thing to affect the shot group is you!

Now we are all different and some rifles do shoot better in one persons hands than another, but a good shot can usually pick up any rifle and produce a resonable group.

So when experienced shots complain that remington are crap and rugers are rough but go with a cz because they shoot amazing, just wonder why are remmington/ruger one of the largest arms manufacturers in the world. Because the produce cheap accurate rifles that work day in day out in all weathers for the masses.

So don't be swayed in to spending vast amounts on a rifle, spend more on the scope is the secret!
    i always rememberhaving an FC annual gun inspection, which was carried out by a very well know and respected gunsmith.

On picking up an old Parker - Hale 308, he glanced down the barrel and checked head space etc and said to the owner "sorry your old spare is going to have to get scrapped"

The said Ranger blurted out that it was his main rifle!!!!!!

"It can't be" said the gunsmith, " how does it groupp?"

The Ranger replied"I've no idea it was zeroed when I got it 10 years ago and i've never cleaned it other than an odd drop of 3 in 1 when it's wet"

This guy killed 500 + deer a year and it had a nikko stirling 4 x 32 silver crown on it!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    i always rememberhaving an FC annual gun inspection, which was carried out by a very well know and respected gunsmith.

On picking up an old Parker - Hale 308, he glanced down the barrel and checked head space etc and said to the owner "sorry your old spare is going to have to get scrapped"

The said Ranger blurted out that it was his main rifle!!!!!!

"It can't be" said the gunsmith, " how does it groupp?"

The Ranger replied"I've no idea it was zeroed when I got it 10 years ago and i've never cleaned it other than an odd drop of 3 in 1 when it's wet"

This guy killed 500 + deer a year and it had a nikko stirling 4 x 32 silver crown on it!!!!!!!!!!
    This didn't happen to be my dad did it?

He's still using his old parker hale safari with a 6x pecar scope that he's had for about 30 year. A nice big crack on the stalk now as well that gets a drop of superglue every so often.

It gets a spray of wd40 on the outside if it gets wet and thats about it!

I asked him this year when he last checked it at the target and his reply was years ago

The amount of people that boast about 1/2" groups then go out stalking and make a complete arse of it is quite scary.

Great post, I agree but we've all been guilty of buying just one more piece of kit that surely will help our stalking ability a bit more....

If not, we should all just buy a 308, a frost clipper and some DPM clothing. They all work very well!

I guess the best way to improve your stalking would be to do an additional 30 min exercise a day, but that's a bit harder than giving advice on the net!!

Quote Originally Posted by scottybhoy88 View Post
    This didn't happen to be my dad did it?

He's still using his old parker hale safari with a 6x pecar scope that he's had for about 30 year. A nice big crack on the stalk now as well that gets a drop of superglue every so often.

It gets a spray of wd40 on the outside if it gets wet and thats about it!

I asked him this year when he last checked it at the target and his reply was years ago

The amount of people that boast about 1/2" groups then go out stalking and make a complete arse of it is quite scary.
    The one and only

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    The one and only
    He'll never change

They got him a new Tikka after that which he used for a while then told them to stick it and give him his old rifle back. They then had to find him another Parker Hale
    Last edited by scottybhoy88; 13-05-2010 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by scottybhoy88 View Post
    Aye, agreed, but the amount of people that can quietly, without boasting, put together a good rig, shoot 1/2" groups, check the rifle regularly, look after it properly and not make a complete arse of shooting deer is applaudable.

And just because a rifle is all new and shiny and synthetic stocked and has good write ups by the paid-for-praise shooting press does not mean that it doesn't have potential to be a problem rifle, assuming the man or woman behind it is not the issue. You really can't generalise about these things. Personally I do prefer older rifles like Sako and Tikka, but that's just preference and a hankering to go back to the rifles I grew up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser66 View Post
    Aye, agreed, but the amount of people that can quietly, without boasting, put together a good rig, shoot 1/2" groups, check the rifle regularly, look after it properly and not make a complete arse of shooting deer is applaudable.

And just because a rifle is all new and shiny and synthetic stocked and has good write ups by the paid-for-praise shooting press does not mean that it doesn't have potential to be a problem rifle, assuming the man or woman behind it is not the issue. You really can't generalise about these things. Personally I do prefer older rifles like Sako and Tikka, but that's just preference and a hankering to go back to the rifles I grew up with.
    Can't disagree with any of that mate.