Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Parallax

Adjustable Parallax

I've only ever had scopes with parallax adjustment on air rifles and 22lr rifles and found it handy for the ranges that these rifles are used at..
    My question is, is it worth having on a stalking rifle. I've a HT Zeiss on my 308 and it's set at 100 yrds/mtrs, or whatever and I've never felt the need
    for adjustment with it. Even at close range. Plus I feel its one less thing to fiddle with. I'm thinking about a 2.5-15x56 and have looked at both Meopta R2 and Swaro Z6i. The only thing I can find different for your extra grand in the price tag is the PA. To my eyes at least, the glass and light gathering qualities are very similar so,
    can anyone in the know or with experience of both scopes shine some light on the subject? I know that Swarovski are very good but, are they twice as good as the Meopta, which is what the price would suggest? This is not to replace my Zeiss but for another caliber by the way. Hope this make a bit of sense, Boxing day Hair of the dog going on here…

All the best.
    cjs

As i own a meopta r2 and looked through a swarovski ,personally i don,t think the swaro is worth a grand more.Meopta r2

I can't see that PA is necessary on a stalking scope. You are most unlikely to be taking shots much beyond 200 yards with a stalking rifle and when you do they will more likely than not be in poor light so you won't be using high magnification. A clear, bright, simple scope is all you need for stalking. Twiddling with parallax will make not the slightest difference. A long range vermin rifle which may also see a bit a range use is another matter. As you wind up the distance and wind up the mag PA adjustment starts to matter.
    I use a Duralyt on my .308 and I have a Meopta R1 on my HMR. I think the Meopta is slightly the brighter but the Zeiss has a finer reticle. Horses for courses. Speaking personally though, my scopes tend to get moved around between rifles and I often buy S/H so I have to buy the best I can with my budget. If a scope turns up at a good price but is a higher spec than I need for the job I have in mind I'll buy it anyway because I've never had a scope which was too good to use but I've got a drawer full of rubbish (usually which came on rifle I've bought) which never see the light of day..
    Last edited by Finch; 26-12-2015 at 21:24.

I own a Z6i 3-18x50 with PA and its a pain. The PA also focuses the scope which means that unless you dial in the correct range on the PA you will be looking at an unfocused target. Not hugely out of focus but out none the less. If I had known this I would have gone for the 2-12x50 which doesn't have it. That said, the high mag does give confidence on the few longer shots that I take and for final ID of animals before the shot in poor light as my binos are only x7. Contrary to Finch's post, I, like most stalkers I know, would only take a long shot in good light conditions which usually means that I would also have time to crank up the mag and adjust the PA before taking the shot. If I was a hill stalker where I regularly shot over 200M then I would consider it useful to have, however, as most of my shots are below 100M I would very happily be without it.
    Hope that helps.
    baguio

I have two Z6i 2.5 15 56

Set the PA to 100 and forget it

Is the Z6i better than the Meotpa?

Yes it is

Is the Z6i £1000 better?

Probably not,

But if you can aford it, get it

ATB

The £1000 extra is only worth it if you shoot in the first and last ten minutes of legal shot. I do and have shot a few animals this year that I suspect would have lived if I was using a cheaper scope. That's the difference IMO

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    The £1000 extra is only worth it if you shoot in the first and last ten minutes of legal shot. I do and have shot a few animals this year that I suspect would have lived if I was using a cheaper scope. That's the difference IMO
    I would of agreed with you all day on this until, I compared the R2 glass with the Z6.
    Theres really not much in the glass quality. All I can see different is the PA..
    I'm not into target shooting so, I think the extra knob is a waste for what I do.

cjs

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    As i own a meopta r2 and looked through a swarovski ,personally i don,t think the swaro is worth a grand more.Meopta r2
    My thoughts exactly bobby….

cjs

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    I have two Z6i 2.5 15 56

Set the PA to 100 and forget it

Is the Z6i better than the Meotpa?

Yes it is

Is the Z6i £1000 better?

Probably not,

But if you can aford it, get it

ATB
    Although, I also get what you are saying Chasey..

I like to buy quality once and keep it rather chop and change with lesser quality.

But in the case of Meopta, is it really less?

cjs

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    Although, I also get what you are saying Chasey..

I like to buy quality once and keep it rather chop and change with lesser quality.

But in the case of Meopta, is it really less?

cjs
    I am prety sure no one would ever argue the Meopta is as good as a Z6i, To get that good you need to be thinking top end Zeiss Z8 or simila

I personaly dont think there's anything wrong with the Meopta but then if I use the same argument for my stalking id be shooting a Browning A bolt and a Burris scope and frankly I bet id have just as many deer on the ground as i do now.

Thers a warm feeling about haveing a top end rifel, top end scope and home loaded and tested amo you trust. Its about as unnessasery as owning a BMW 750 when you can do the comute in a Scoda no problem but I still would prefer the BMW if I could afford it

Once you accept your a kit tart and embrace it then like me you will opt for the Z6i

At least you will never have to try and justifie your choice to anyone

ATB