Coat waterproofing

User00014

Morning all,

Now I don't do as much game shooting as I used to but I have 6 days before the end of the season and I wonder if anyone has any surgestions for a waterproofing agent I can add to my Schoffel ptarmigan?

I have had this coat for nearly 10 years and is in really good condition and loath to throw it away just because of its age.

So any ideas will be greatly recieved.

Buy some nik wax tech wash and a tub of nik wax tx direct wash in. They are in purple and green bottles. Wash the jacket with the tech wash and allow to dry. Once dry wash again with the direct wash in, then once done tumble dry z couple times on a low heat, tumble drying reactivates the god eyes lining.
This is the process I use on all my outdoor clothing and to this day I am yet to get wet!!!

Hi
As said below the Nikwax Tech-Wash and TX Direct waterproofing are good (leastways in my experience with walking and hunting clothing).

GoOutdoors are doing 1litre at half retail price which works out cheaper than their own price with their card - £18ish retail, £13ish with card against £9ish on offer!

L

I use the tech wash stuff, and it has kept me dry. I bought a gallon of each (wash and proof) because it works out cheap as chips per litre. I have hears absil is another good one, but haven't tried it.
Never waited to let things dry before applying the proofer though, or tumble drying to reactivate. I'll give this a go next time.

I have been developing and working on this for some months now, and have a low cost product that contains the same active ingredients as the top named brands, but with our lower overheads and more basic packaging we can keep the costs down. We developed it for re proofing anglers waders, after repair, but in testing found it worked on old non waterproof tweed caps, argo tops, jackets and basically everything else- even tissue paper! The tweed hat is now totally waterproof and has been all season - and what a wet season!
The key to it for us was easy to apply with a cold spray on, let dry and use. Nothing else. This was easy enough, we just make it more concentrated, the ingredients are actually not too expensive so going concentrated is no big deal. Heating the garment after application and as it dries certainly helps, but is not necessary.

I AM NOT A TRADE MEMBER HERE, stalking is my hobby and so i dont plan to advertise, i dont want this to damage my enjoyment of the forum.

I guess the point i am making is there are a number of really good alternatives coming onto the market all the time, so do look at what is available.

cheers

Dave

I have been developing and working on this for some months now, and have a low cost product that contains the same active ingredients as the top named brands, but with our lower overheads and more basic packaging we can keep the costs down. We developed it for re proofing anglers waders, after repair, but in testing found it worked on old non waterproof tweed caps, argo tops, jackets and basically everything else- even tissue paper! The tweed hat is now totally waterproof and has been all season - and what a wet season!
The key to it for us was easy to apply with a cold spray on, let dry and use. Nothing else. This was easy enough, we just make it more concentrated, the ingredients are actually not too expensive so going concentrated is no big deal. Heating the garment after application and as it dries certainly helps, but is not necessary.

I AM NOT A TRADE MEMBER HERE, stalking is my hobby and so i dont plan to advertise, i dont want this to damage my enjoyment of the forum.

I guess the point i am making is there are a number of really good alternatives coming onto the market all the time, so do look at what is available.

cheers

Dave
Dragons Den ?

Chuckle, i really dont want to be a big complany and get into all that, so will just work away fixing waders and selling my glues and sealants.

I keep that part of my life separate from my shooting. When i was a diver i ended up working in the industry, and though i dived almost every day, it was almost never for MY pleasure. This is not going to happen to my shooting. Dragons Den or expansion would be a disaster. Been there, done that, had a pile of staff, and a pile of stress. Quite happy with the current set up!

Dave

Don't undersell yourself!

What's all this rubbish about how you just "work away fixing waders"?

Rather you perform miracles on a daily basis by re-incarnating dead waders and rejuvenating those that are otherwise nearing the end of their life!

The two pairs you repaired for me some years ago are still going strong :thumb:

Dave

Don't undersell yourself!

What's all this rubbish about how you just "work away fixing waders"?

Rather you perform miracles on a daily basis by re-incarnating dead waders and rejuvenating those that are otherwise nearing the end of their life!

The two pairs you repaired for me some years ago are still going strong :thumb:

:D

Dave.

tell me I will keep it to myself so I can watch everyone else on the gun line get soaked.:)

bob.

Back