Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel length reduction - should I get it done?

Barrel length reduction - should I get it done?

I have a tikka t3 stainless laminate in .243 and next week I am getting it re-threaded for a new moderator - an A-Tec CMM4 aluminium.

The firearms dealer asked me on the phone yesterday if I was wanting the barrel shortened at all.

I would like to know from other peoples experience how barrel reduction has affected the performance of your rifle either for the better or for the worse.

Did the gun lose accuracy?

Did you have to change bullet weight?

It's something I have never thought about before and may not get it done however I am interested on opinions.

Cheers

David

The twist rate in my rifle is I believe 1:10
    Last edited by david1976; 17-05-2010 at 10:36.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    I have a tikka t3 stainless laminate in .243 and next week I am getting it re-threaded for a new moderator - an A-Tec CMM4 aluminium.

The firearms dealer asked me on the phone yesterday if I was wanting the barrel shortened at all.

I would like to know from other peoples experience how barrel reduction has affected the performance of your rifle either for the better or for the worse.

Did the gun lose accuracy?

Did you have to change bullet weight?

It's something I have never thought about before and may not get it done however I am interested on opinions.

Cheers

David

The twist rate in my rifle is I believe 1:8

Hi got my 308 cut from 24" to 20" and re-threaded was worried about accuracy but not about velocity drop have to say the gun shoots better than I can an inch or less @100yds, and with a moderator fitted the whole rifle feels better in the hand than it did before, guess it depends on what you want gun feel and balance or squeezing the last drop of speed from the bullet, average velocity shortfalls being between 40/60fps per inch of barrel removed depending on the caliber concerned though I dont think the deer will notice good luck whatever you decide!!!!!!!

Account Suspended
    Shouldn't adversely affect the rifle in the slightest. You'll get a small reduction in MV due to the shorter barrel length but thats all, just make sure the re-crowning is top quality. It will assist in helping to rebalance the rifle seeing as your adding additional weight to the loud end by screwing on a can. But again thats only slight depending upon how much you get chopped off the end of the barrel.

I've see barrel cropped back to 18" with no major problems.

Would I do it to mine? Nope! But then I'll never fit a can to any rifle of mine. and yes I've read all the b/s about them. Ugly bloody things,

Quote Originally Posted by Emdoc View Post
    Shouldn't adversely affect the rifle in the slightest. You'll get a small reduction in MV due to the shorter barrel length but thats all, just make sure the re-crowning is top quality. It will assist in helping to rebalance the rifle seeing as your adding additional weight to the loud end by screwing on a can. But again thats only slight depending upon how much you get chopped off the end of the barrel.

I've see barrel cropped back to 18" with no major problems.

Would I do it to mine? Nope! But then I'll never fit a can to any rifle of mine. and yes I've read all the b/s about them. Ugly bloody things,
    The rifle I have is very light even with a s&b 8x56 on top so I wanted a lightweight moderator so as not to overbalance it. 220g is very light about a third the weight of my previous moderator and although aluminium, I will not shoot it so much that it will burn away quickly.

Hi david..

Weve had a couple of threads on this but i cant find the links

I cant speak for your rifle personally but heres my Steyr Pro in 308 with 18" Barrel, docter scope and JetZ
    and underneath .22 with 13" Barrel,whisper mod

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No problems holding a group with either and the 308 balances lovely.

The quality of work rethreading and crowning your rifle will make or break it.

Go for it mate.

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Hi David - I had a crop done on the barrel of my .243 T3 (synthetic/stainless) a few years ago when I had my mod fitted; not noticed any detrioriation in accuracy; hurls 100g Federals just as well as it did before!

It's a bit like getting your dog done I suppose.... no going back once the chop has been done.....
    ATB,

Merlin
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Hi David - I had a crop done on the barrel of my .243 T3 (synthetic/stainless) a few years ago when I had my mod fitted; not noticed any detrioriation in accuracy; hurls 100g Federals just as well as it did before!

It's a bit like getting your dog done I suppose.... no going back once the chop has been done.....
    ATB,

Merlin
    What did you get it cut back to?

Reducing barrel length doesn't make any real difference to accuracy - read this http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

It will reduce muzzle energy and you may not be deer legal if you take too much off. I think the received wisdom is that for every inch you take off you loose about 40 ft/lbs of energy and the data from Accurate Reloading seems to bear that out. If you know the approximate muzzle velocity of your current rifle/ammunition combination you can work what the energy will be for any given barrel length using this calculator http://www.airhog.com/convert.htm

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    What did you get it cut back to?
    I've not got my tape measure handy, but from memory it was about 3 - 3 1/2" ( ?). I'll check later on when I get in and post a more accurate measurement, ie not based upon a soggy finger in a rather stiff breeze!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Had my sako 75 243 cut down to 20" and not noticed any deterioration in accuracy, in fact just got into reloading and secotypond recipe we tried I shot a 0.2" group. That do for me!!!
    Last edited by 75; 15-05-2010 at 16:49. Reason: typo