Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To clean a rifle or not

To clean a rifle or not

This has probably been covered countless times before but I really don't know whats the best thing to do so I thought ask ,
    I have a tikka t3 synthetic and blue a tikka 595 synthetic and stainless , x bolt synthetic and stainless and the good old ruger 1022
    wood and blue, apart from the 1022 I cleaned the others religiously . I recently went on a trip and missed an easy deer and the stalker said to me
    don't bother cleaning the stainless barrels as it can take several rounds for the bullets to settle, Now I was using federal fusion at the time and
    I am pretty sure it was these bullets giving me the inconsistency but do I still clean or not .
    The stalker was also a firearms dealer aswell so I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by rutland View Post
    This has probably been covered countless times before but I really don't know whats the best thing to do so I thought ask ,
    I have a tikka t3 synthetic and blue a tikka 595 synthetic and stainless , x bolt synthetic and stainless and the good old ruger 1022
    wood and blue, apart from the 1022 I cleaned the others religiously . I recently went on a trip and missed an easy deer and the stalker said to me
    don't bother cleaning the stainless barrels as it can take several rounds for the bullets to settle, Now I was using federal fusion at the time and
    I am pretty sure it was these bullets giving me the inconsistency but do I still clean or not .
    The stalker was also a firearms dealer aswell so I don't know
    personally on rifles next round cleans my barrels!! That said after the very occasional clean I always put back on a paper target as sometimes takes a couple to settle. Each rifle is different though!

Don't worry about it. I don't know how many rounds per year you shoot but I give both 270s, the 6.5 and 243 a really going over once a year. Rest of the time I use a bore snake and a squirt of Napier. Regarding the miss, you say easy deer. Is that a 100 yarder off a solid rest with a rifle zeroed for a 100 yards? Bearing in mind the size of the deer and going for a boiler room shot (I am assuming) to miss cleanly I reckon would be about a foot above and below- more so for a bigger deer. Main thing is not to knock your confidence. Maybe go to a target and go back to basics of marksmanship. Trust me, it's worse with a "zeroed" rifle and drop a leg..

Clean mine religiously about once in a blue moon!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Clean it once a year whether it needs it or not.

I tend to clean mine every 30-40 shots but am careful to bring my rifles up to room temperature before putting them away. If the outing has been moist in any way then I pass a patch through soaked in lighter fluid. Haven't seen any issues with altered poi doing it this way

Have you checked your zero since you were out?

Yes zero is bang on, its interesting to see so far everybody seems to be going on the next bullet clean regime.

That seems to be the modern lazy way. I always cleaned my rifles after every shooting session unless I was going out stalking with it in the next couple of days then it got cleaned after the outing. Of course mine did not have a stainless barrel. Cleaning is not the hardship many seem to think it is.

I clean mine after every outing regardles a shot was fired or not... Shot over 20 deer since last zero check (February) never missed a beat.