Problems with a moderator on a Ruger 10/22

Hi All

I have a Ruger 10/22 with a short 12" barrel that give a 1" group at 50 yards using Winchester 40gr expanding ammo, it would do a bit better if I tried harder but for bunny's it is just fine. Now today I put a Edgar Brothers moderator on it and went to check the zero hadn't moved. I found that it now performs like a shotgun and I struggle to shoot a 2" group!!!

What's gone wrong? Do I need to try different ammo or a different moderator? Thoughts please ...

Thanks

Try a different moderator,I had this last year with a cz and a Sak moderator,tried 3 Sak moderators,the gun just didn't like them.

Your rifle and amo are good without the mod. I would therefore try a different type of mod to see what results you get. If the results are similar, it could be the thread or shoulder of the thread that's the problem . Is it a P.H. type mod you have on it? john

Last edited:
Your rifle and amo are good without the mod. I would therefore try a different type of mod to see what results you get. If the results are similar, it could be the thread or shoulder of the thread that's the problem . Is it a P.H. type mod you have on it? john
Hmm , that's not always true.I had terrible problems with my 22 CZ - sak mod- and bullets not grouping so I bought different types of bullets and bingo it loves CCI . Even my 17 CZ was quite fussy so it's perfect with Hornady .

Had similar trouble with my 10/22 with moderator on, having tried several different mods it turned out to be the iron sight on the end of the barrel was a few thousands of an inch long causing the mod to be canted when screwed on tight! Took an iron file to it and problem solved, have a check on your rifle

Thanks for the replies.

Going by what has been said here and on other forums there is no ideal rifle/bullet/mod combination rather it is simple trial and error. Well the bullets are the cheapest trial and a quick ring round of the lads later and I have 8 jiffy bags with 20 rounds each of different ammo. I know what I am doing next Saturday morning.

Thanks again and I will report back.

Back