Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying 2nd hand Taxidermy, namely BoP

Buying 2nd hand Taxidermy, namely BoP

Alright folks

Just wondering wot the craic is with buying 2nd hand taxidermy off an advert. 2 are for BoP.
    Not a lot of money so probably either old or poorly stuffed.

Do u need some sort of paperwork or CITES thing or would a recipt of the last owner do?

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Alright folks

Just wondering wot the craic is with buying 2nd hand taxidermy off an advert. 2 are for BoP.
    Not a lot of money so probably either old or poorly stuffed.

Do u need some sort of paperwork or CITES thing or would a recipt of the last owner do?
    what animals, birds are we talking about??

1 white owl? persume he means a barn? and a sparrow hawk

Anyone know any thing about this??

Had a bit of a google onine and from wot i seen i think u do need a licence to own a stuffed BoP (which was wot i thought) if its been done after 1947 (how woud they know??)
    But just spoke to the seller and they hadnae a clue and were quite surprised by it and never heard of it before. They have already sold the barn owl and i got impression they had sold other taxidermey before
    But was not 100% clear as different if exporting etc, or selling for profit or amatuer's

I'm not overly bothered about tickets and stuff like that but would hate to be getting guns inspected and FLO notices a Sparrowhawk sitting on a shelf somewhere that has no paper work for it.

Cheers
    Last edited by countrryboy; 04-01-2016 at 18:36.

I was talking to a guy from SNH about this recently. A friend of mine had a sparrow hawk fly into his window and kill itself. I asked the SNH guy if it was legal for him to have it stuffed and he (the SNH guy) reckoned that it was ok since it wasn't a schedule 1 bird. Have a look at their website to confirm.

Possession and taxidermy - Scottish Natural Heritage

theres an email address on this link, drop them an email.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

You need an A10 certificate (article 10)
    if the item doesnt have one you can apply for one retrospectively detailing exactly who is the seller and where they got the item from

its a sham IMO but it at least gives some traceability to the misuse of protected species

Endangered species: application for commercial use - Publications - GOV.UK

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    I was talking to a guy from SNH about this recently. A friend of mine had a sparrow hawk fly into his window and kill itself. I asked the SNH guy if it was legal for him to have it stuffed and he (the SNH guy) reckoned that it was ok since it wasn't a schedule 1 bird. Have a look at their website to confirm.

Same happened to my sister who phoned RSPB. They asked her what she wanted to do with it, and it now sits on top of a bookcase, 6" above a stuffed Gliss Gliss!!!

Scared the sh*t out of my children when they first saw it
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post

Interesting, but why would he think Schedule 1 has anything to do with it? Surely that's about disturbance during breeding?

Both species fall under Annex A of the EU regulations so, as Bewsher says, legally any item offered for sale must come with an Article 10 certificate (http://ec.europa.eu/environment/cite..._ref_guide.pdf)
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Cheers folks
    I found a site called taxidermy law.co.uk (sorry dunno how to do links)

It said a schedule 10 as said but also a CITES 11 but no licence under WCA.(same for most BoP)

But i got confused/site wasn't entirely clear wot is needed for just having 1, i don't intend to sell it or export it and it changed for export inside/outside EU.

I was under the impression that if u found a protected animal dead u wanted stuffed u had to take it to the vet to get a sort of PM to state died of natural causes

So if i cut the advert out off paper and asked seller to write a letter would that cover me, or atleast to apply for an article 10?
    Think if done pre 1947 doesnae need an article 10.
    Is it easy to prove how old taxideremy is?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Cheers folks
    I found a site called taxidermy law.co.uk (sorry dunno how to do links)

It said a schedule 10 as said but also a CITES 11 but no licence under WCA.(same for most BoP)

But i got confused/site wasn't entirely clear wot is needed for just having 1, i don't intend to sell it or export it and it changed for export inside/outside EU.

I was under the impression that if u found a protected animal dead u wanted stuffed u had to take it to the vet to get a sort of PM to state died of natural causes

So if i cut the advert out off paper and asked seller to write a letter would that cover me, or atleast to apply for an article 10?
    Think if done pre 1947 doesnae need an article 10.
    Is it easy to prove how old taxideremy is?
    In short, no, it's not easy to prove the age.

In summary, CITES covers the trade of endangered species internationally. The EU regulations (which enforced CITES within the EU) cover both international trade involving EU member states as well as trade within the EU. Since you're presumably buying from an EU seller you should therefore concern yourself with the EU regulations.

You should ask the seller to confirm that the items come with a valid Article 10. It is the seller who is responsible since they are the one seeking to gain by trade. Without an Article 10 they are acting illegally. Do a Google search and you'll find lots of examples of EBay sellers who've been prosecuted for not having a valid Article 10!

If you find a dead animal you can indeed take it to a taxidermist, but the taxidermist (and you) should be able to prove that it was found and not bought/traded. I have done this myself with a Tawny Owl found dead by the roadside. Since it was found I don't need an Article 10 unless I want to sell it or otherwise gain from it by trade.

So far as pre-1947, this is true so long as the item has not been materially changed - e.g. you may be fine selling a pre-1947 tiger skin rig, but not if you cut it up and make a fancy waistcoat from it!

Again, the above is not meant to be definitive advice, but my opinion.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!