Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: letter from Essex firearms

letter from Essex firearms

Thank you for your enquiry.
    If you are notifying us of the acquisition or disposal of a weapon pleasetake this reply as confirmation it will be dealt with.
    Unfortunately due to recent changes in working practice and extremely highvolume of work within Firearms Licensing at this present time the ServiceDelivery Targets previously set are not able to be met and this office isunable to respond to any email queries of timescales for the completion orprogression of applications/renewals etc.
    If your application is within the timeframe shown below, please do nottelephone our office. A high volume of enquiries prevents us from processingwork efficiently.
    Grant of a firearm or a shot gun certificate
    40 weeks
    Renewal of a firearm or shot gun certificate (includingvariation to acquire additional firearms)
    16 weeks (from the date of the expiry of the previouscertificate). Please note: a temporary permit will be issued which will lastfor 6 months from the expiry of the old certificate. This will cover thecertificate holder during the renewal process.
    Change of address
    8 weeks
    'one for one' variation on an identical or similar calibre
    4-5 weeks
    'one for one' variation on none identical or similarcalibres and amendment of certificates for additional 'good reason' or use
    10-12 weeks
    Grant or renew a European Firearms Pass (Note: This can onlybe issued to the expiry dates of a valid FAC or SGC)
    1 week
    Issue a temporary permit (Section 7), providing any delay isdue to Police
    1 week

We ask for your continued patience whilst we process the current workload.Please trust that we are working hard to achieve this, and apologise forinconvenience caused.
    Kind Regards,
    Firearms Licensing
    Firearms, Shotgun & Explosives Licensing (FSEL) Section
    Essex Police Headquarters, P O Box 2, Springfield, Chelmsford, Essex. CM26DA
    Office Tel: 01245 452768
    Fax: 01245 452157

Least they're being open and honest.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Least they're being open and honest.
    There might be some issues with this though:

Renewal of a firearm or shot gun certificate (including variation to acquire additional firearms)
    16 weeks (from the date of the expiry of the previous certificate). Please note: a temporary permit will be issued which will last for 6 months from the expiry of the old certificate. This will cover the certificate holder during the renewal process.

If the FAC holder who is applying for a renewal has S.5 expanding ammunition they will not be 'covered' by a S.7 Permit and will have to lodge the ammo and any expanding bullets with another FAC holder or an RFD, (at their own expense!). They will therefore not be able to shoot live quarry and will be effectively unable to to continue stalking/foxing/etc.

Essex were seriously criticised in the recent HMIC report into Firearms Licensing for issuing some 1200 S.7 Permits immediately upon receipt of renewals, irrespective of when the FAC was due to expire - they were in breach of the requirement to review the suitability of the certificate holder every five years as the law demands. They are still in breach of that requirement but have just shifted the goalposts regarding the timing of the issue of S.7 Permits.

Read about it here on P.42 onwards: https://ukshootingnews.files.wordpre...tic-report.pdf

I presume they're being open about this because, all too aware that the service they are providing falls well short of what they are legally obliged to provide, a beleaguered and underfunded firearms licensing department sees it as the only way they can put pressure on the CC and PCC to do something about it.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Hi Mr Gain,
    I'm having similar problems with GMP. What legalities are you referring too? I ask as it may be helpful to me.
    Rgds
    Bolt action

Well Norfolk really have done well , SGC renewal and 1-4-1 FAC posted 23/12/15 on my mat 31/12/15 now thats what i call an efficiant service!

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

My daughter applied for shotgun with Essex back in February, not heard a thing from them yet, wonder if it will become a year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt action View Post
    Hi Mr Gain,
    I'm having similar problems with GMP. What legalities are you referring too? I ask as it may be helpful to me.
    Rgds
    Bolt action
    I was primarily referring to Orion's previous post and link.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

So this is acceptable in 2015 - We are a police force that continually fail on all recognised standards of service but we have at least told you that we are woefully inadequate........
    Makes you wonder how they will deal with an unexpected event doesn't it??