Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most effective sound mod

Most effective sound mod

Hi all hope you're all well, I have just upgraded to a Remington 22.250 and now require a sound mod for her.
    What would youse experienced stalkers recommend?
    The rifle also needs to be threaded, dose anybody know the RFD in Perth Scotland that works from home?
    i used him years ago and service was spot on.

many thanks

RYan

mods in my opinion are usually good or very light

whatever you get try and get the smallest bore for your calibre
    5.56mm bullets should be going through no more than a 6.5mm bore mod to optimise sound attenuation

I run a PES/MAE T12 scout on my .222 and also on a .243 when I had one

with a 6.5mm bore and the .243 bullet it was very effective, so much so that on a range the RCO commented on the difference in noise between mine and neighbouring shooters with mods

the 0.25mm radial clearance is the key to that

big calibre mods for 30cal etc often have 10mm bore

Hi mate thanks very much for your reply much appreciated, I will go and have a look at them and see where I can source one.
    thanks again
    RYan

Hi Ryan
    The good old T8 is probably one of the quietest mods i have used, i am sure bewsher500 is correct in what he says but i have always used a 30 cal mod on all my rifles right down to the 22lr to good effect, now i am using an Atec Maxim which is a over barrel mod but without the need for a rear bush which is a good compromise between weight and noise attenuation, cheers Geoff

Ryan, Interesting thread contributions from the geoffrey and bewsher 500. I agree with regard to the T8 (i had the earlier,longer one).
    It gave me great service until it started to sound like a tin can. It looked new on the outside but was corroding from the inside at the end baffle. Goodness only knows how many rounds went through it.
    Jacksons replaced it with 60% value off my next moderator. It would appear the deal is, replaced 100% , if it becomes faulty less than a year old. Pro rata depending on the age. Now I replaced mine with the Atech over the barrel,6.5. Brilliant on the 243 for stalking (lightweight) but not recommended for dozens of rounds down the range,for this I use the Jet Z,30cal.on my 7mm. There are so many on the market,take your time and read what folks experience were. Already with the three contributions you have a choice of six or so.

Just bought an ASE Jet-Z for my newly acquired .243. Bought the mod at Sportsman and its entered on my ticket as a .243 mod but I only noticed after zeroing, when I thought it was bloody loud, that they've actually sold me a .30 cal mod. I'd be interested to compare with someone who's using a 6 mm Jet-Z on a 22" barrel .243 to see how much difference an over-bored one makes.
    I'm not best pleased about it but I do need a .30 cal mod for my .308 so I haven't returned it. I'd really like to do a comparison with a true .25 or a 6 mm mod to see if its worth buying a second one or just using this one on both rifles.
    Sportsman have since told me they don't stock Jet-Z's smaller than .30 cal because it doesn't make any difference. I think they should have told me that beforehand though so I could be the judge.

A mate has a .30 cal Jet-Z on his .308 TRG and though I haven't tried them both side by side yet, from memory I'm convinced that his .308 is quieter than my .243
    Last edited by Finch; 30-12-2015 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    The good old T8 is probably one of the quietest mods i have used,
    My 243 came with a 30cal T8
    night and day compared to a stainless t12 scout with tight bore tolerance

i have a bicycle inner tube on mine now and it is even quieter

Thanks for all the info, really helpfull i am still analysing the mods, so I make the right choice. Some good mod reviews on YouTube on suppressor s
    many thanks folks

Thanks very much I will do mate thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Just bought an ASE Jet-Z for my newly acquired .243. Bought the mod at Sportsman and its entered on my ticket as a .243 mod but I only noticed after zeroing, when I thought it was bloody loud, that they've actually sold me a .30 cal mod. I'd be interested to compare with someone who's using a 6 mm Jet-Z on a 22" barrel .243 to see how much difference an over-bored one makes.
    I'm not best pleased about it but I do need a .30 cal mod for my .308 so I haven't returned it. I'd really like to do a comparison with a true .25 or a 6 mm mod to see if its worth buying a second one or just using this one on both rifles.
    Sportsman have since told me they don't stock Jet-Z's smaller than .30 cal because it doesn't make any difference. I think they should have told me that beforehand though so I could be the judge.

A mate has a .30 cal Jet-Z on his .308 TRG and though I haven't tried them both side by side yet, from memory I'm convinced that his .308 is quieter than my .243
    Agreed Finch they should have given you the option and now that you mention it, my 30cal T8 was originally for my CZ .243, it was quiet.The 30 cal. Jet Z works well on my 7mm...

bewsher 500,I hope that inner tube was for the outside of you mod.