Thread: Safe to eat and refreeze?

Safe to eat and refreeze?

Hi all

Had a roe haunch in the freezer. Decided I fancy a few burgers for a. New years eve bbq. Took it out the freezer last night and left it on the side to defrost. Had a few more whiskeys than I intended last night so got up late today and the haunch was on the side fully defrosted.

Temp probed it and it was about 13 degrees. I know this is above what it should have been. I've now minced it and put it back in the fridge. My gut instinct says it'll be fine to eat tomorrow night as burgers and to freeze a few burgers but there's always that niggling feeling.
    What would you chaps do in my situation?

Thanks in advance

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Should be perfect to eat tomorrow night.

How long was it tenderised/hung before freezing? Based on forty degree days...so twelve hours defrosting and rising up to 13 degrees is minimal. 12 hours once it had achieved 13˚ would still only be a third of the tenderising time...but obviously bacteria-wise it would be better kept below 7˚ for double the hours.

Most nasties are dealt with by thorough cooking. Make sure it is well done, and not rare.

I was always told that once it was defrosted you should cook and then refreeze....don't just freeze any of the uncooked burgers.

Anything left over you could aways casserole and then freeze.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 30-12-2015 at 15:28.

Personally I`d knock up a casserole, cook it then refreeze it.
    The risk just isn`t worth it.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Personally I`d knock up a casserole, cook it then refreeze it.
    The risk just isn`t worth it.

I'm with Basil here,but another thing is the fact that any meat should vbe defrosted in the fridge and kept below 5 deg until cooked then it would be fine to refreeze.The reason people are told by the 'trade' not to refreeze is that they cannot be trusted to look after the meat properly.

Martin

Cant advise as not qualified to but I would personally eat it no worries just make sure its thoroughly cooked,Pork,chicken or fish would be a different story...

Hi all

Cheers for the input. Ate it all so didn't need to refreeze any haha I'll be more careful in future though
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....