Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dispatch .

Dispatch .

Got a call to one of my permissions this afternoon to dispatch what they thought was an injured deer . Their poor dog was getting the blame as he was barking at it .
    Upon arrival it was sat alert but obviously unable to stand so quickly dispatched with shot to head.
    It very quickly became obvious that the dog had played no part in this !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lung.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	64839

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lung2.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	354.8 KB 
ID:	64841
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lung2.jpg   lung.jpg   20151230_155903.jpg   lung2.jpg  

Not sure what I have done with the pictures , there should only be two

Is that puss filled lumps on the ribcage? Any other pics?

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Is that puss filled lumps on the ribcage? Any other pics?
    Yes it is ,it had several like that , I only had my phone to use for pictures and that didn't like working with my gloves on .

As soon as it became obvious that I wasn't going to feed the carcass to the dogs then I put the knife away and got the land owner to bury the carcass with his digger .
    Last edited by grumpyoldsod; 31-12-2015 at 07:35.

You mean you reported the carcase to AHPA as you are legally required to do so?!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldsod View Post
    As soon as it became obvious that I wasn't going to feed the carcass to the dogs then I put the knife away and got the land owner to bury the carcass with his digger .
    OOPS, not the first time i have seen this result posted on this forum, you should have done what Apache said.
    Not sure how you could rectify this now other than digging it up and taking samples for the vet, but it might be too late.
    You are located in the SW, would that be England?
    It's not always TB, but of the 2 deer i submitted for testing one deer was a confirmed case.
    Cheers
    Richard

And that is why all people shooting deer should hold DSC1 minimum. Not wishing or interested in starting another DSC argument and the OP knew that the carcass wasn't right (which a lot may not have even known) but he wasn't aware that he had an odligation to report such things. The BDS sell a handy little book with photos and phone numbers for just this reason http://www.bds.org.uk/index.php?opti...&product_id=53 Money well spent IMO!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Per Apache's post, it's well worthwhile to have the number of the local office of the Animal Plant & Health Authority saved in your mobile phone.

They have a handy-dandy postcode search facility: APHA - Postcode search - APHA Field Services

Sadly the web page provided in the Best Practice Guides - at least the UK version - is out of date on this
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

It's even easier than that - there is a single national number now for all contact - 03000 200 301

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    It's even easier than that - there is a single national number now for all contact - 03000 200 301
    Wow - that's incredibly logical! Well done them
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!