Thread: cajun venny burgers and pigeon jerky!

cajun venny burgers and pigeon jerky!

well just got a beast from the local estate (roe) that a guest shot in the haunch and recked it...then tried to put beast out of its misery and took out a fore leg/ shoulder!!!

anyway keepr was gonna just take the saddle and throw in a hole....aye right me thinks !!! what a waste so i offered to butcher / burger it for him

so vension as much as can be salvaged....wee bit o pork belly...and a scobiesdirect bought pack of cajun burger mix and voila!!!!!

ready for the freezer vacuum packed n labeled
    i get some and keeper gets some......i hate waste

on that thought i found about 5lb o pigeon breast in bottom of the freezer sao i tried pigeon jerky!!!!!!!!!

its ace

one of my best buys has been the jerky gun form bushwear ....ok its a cheats method but it works!!!

im sitting here with jerky and a guiness!!! ace

oh and the cajun burgers are fab ...with a bit o a kick!!

sauer /paul

Does the jerky gun come with full instructions Paul? What did you do to produce the pigeon jerky? All my pigeon currently gets minced and used as a beef substitute in chilli, bolognese and mousaka, which is all very good, but I'd like to try summat a bit different with it.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Does the jerky gun come with full instructions Paul? What did you do to produce the pigeon jerky? All my pigeon currently gets minced and used as a beef substitute in chilli, bolognese and mousaka, which is all very good, but I'd like to try summat a bit different with it.

sorry for not replying Harry, i work awa form home and sometimes not have net access.

in answer to your query, it comes with full instructions and one packet of seasoning/cure which is enough for bout 5lbs of meat.
    the packets themselves also have instructions on them and if you already mince and make your own burgers or sausages then its even easier to do than that!!!!

for other packets of seasoning i buy them from ebay...you get different flavourings etc , hickory , meaquite, tereyaki etc etc.

basically mince the pigeon breast add the seasoning and cure , a little water,, then mix thru well then put the mince into the jerky gun and squeeze out onto baking wire racks in strips..
    then oven on to 100 C and do for hounr n 15 minutes then remove ...turn strips over and back in for one more hour.....leave to cool then i just store in the fridge.

then......Just add beer and munch!!!!!

not everyones liking but just a chance to try summit different without to much outlay....29 quid form bushwear for the jerky gun.....yeah its not "proper" jerky but its still tasty

again sorry for reply delay

sauer / paul

Sounds like it might be worth a go. I've got a bottle of liquid smoke and a jar of hickory smoke flavouring in the cupboard that I bought in the States in about 2003 that have yet to be opened. Pigeon jerky sounds like what they've been waiting for.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

let me know how you get on with liquid smoke

i just bought a bottle from bushwear but not had chance to use it yet .....vension , pigeon rabbit or owt else!!!

let us know how it goes
    or pm me ill phone you if you have any other questions

all the best
    sauer /paul
    Last edited by sauer; 16-07-2010 at 11:49.

Hi Paul your going to get fat eating all that jerky send some up North & you can have some of the lovely GOAT MEAT

aye aye budgie

i take it you been oot playing with that new toy and got yersel some goat??

wife happy now wi freezer showing results for price of yer ammo? hehehehee

just back from Ghana & had curried goat it was nice ....would love a go at it here

sauer

you're a good man for saving the meat and cajunifying it. I'm intigued by the pigeon jerky