deer stalking land advice.

daryl8837

Hello everyone

I have the opportunity of purchasing 296 acres of land which Red and Roe both inhabit in reasonable numbers. I am a target shooter and have no experience in deer management so i need some advice on how much to charge per shooter and all the rest that goes with it. I welcome all advice please be polite/respectfull in replies.

Many Thanks
Daryl.

£100-£150 per day plus Meat at game dealers rates is a reasonable ball park i would say.......Medal heads extra

thanks for your advice so far. for land 296 acres how many days per year do you think i should offer and also how many shooters should i allow per year and also per outing?

I stalk two pieces each a similar sized piece of ground. Most of the neighbouring ground is also stalked and on average we take 3 to 6 beasts a year. We could take more but then there would be no breeding stock and nothing for next year. One piece has had a bunch of Cowboys next door. They have shot everything and haven't had the heart to shoot the one beast on my ground. Both are owned by friends and they get half the venison oven ready in return for the stalking. I average four or five outings for each beast. 300 odd is really quite a small piece of ground and often shootable beasts are well over the boundary. But sometimes when the planets are aligned it all goes to plan and a doe ends up in the larder - I have had a real run of blanks.

I would get Local advice (From experienced members on here), to asses population density. I stalk a leased wood of that size and we are set a cull figure of 25 Roe, 10 Buck, 15 Doe by forestry, that is a long term unsustainable number,for this size of wood, and is set as to keep animal numbers low, so don't be expecting massive numbers from a block that size (very nice though- non-the less!) if you want to keep quality and numbers sustainable.
Red I am not experienced in but again an assessment is needed of current populations (not forgetting wide ranging animal, crossing several land ownership boarders), and if at all possible, find out what those landowners around you are doing, and try to manage a cull plan for the area.

Hope that is of some help,

Happy New Year.

Back