Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Sierra Gameking for Africa

  1. #1

    Sierra Gameking for Africa

    Has anyone used these for Kudu, Oryx etc. I will be using 30-06. 165 grn bullet this year in Namibia.
    Tusker

  2. #2
    Have you looked on the Sierra web page? There are ususlly plenty of reviews from users including quite a few from Africa and even more from large American Game. I was going to reload this bullet in my 308 after reading the reviews there.

  3. #3
    I love the 165 Gameking in my .308s and .30-06s, but I think for an Oryx ( which I hope to hunt again soon in New Mexico) I would go for a tougher bullet because of the very thick hide and bones: Speer Grand Slam, Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX.

  4. #4
    If you can afford a plains game safari, I would spend the the extra few quid for premium bullets - Nosler Partitions, Barnes TTSX etc.

    I would not risk a trophy fee on a cheap, relatively soft cup and core bullet. If you make an animal bleed, you are paying for it whether it is recovered or not.

    Get the Barnes bullets.
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

  5. #5
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    5,388
    You can't kill deader than dead. OTOH why not just ask the professional hunter that you'll be using for his advice.

    I've never really liked Sierra Gameking as I think from opinions I have heard that they are a target bullet masquerading as a game bullet.

    As CD inputs cheap bullets is like spending hundreds on a fly rod and reel to then scrimp on the quality of the cast material.

    Remember the ONLY part of rifle, case, powder, 'scope and binoculars...all that kit 'n caboodle that actually "touches" the game is the bullet.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 01-01-2016 at 16:43.

  6. #6
    Thanks guys, very much confirmed my own thoughts. I only asked the question as I have a box. I will be using Nosler partitions as I have used them twice in Africa with very good results. I use 85 grn Gameking in my 243 on fallow, Roe and fox with excellent results.
    Tusker

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Thanks guys, very much confirmed my own thoughts. I only asked the question as I have a box. I will be using Nosler partitions as I have used them twice in Africa with very good results. I use 85 grn Gameking in my 243 on fallow, Roe and fox with excellent results.
    Tusker
    Tusker,

    My son uses my 6.5x55 in Africa with 140 gr Norma Nosler Partition factory.
    He's taken many Kudu, Oryx, Zebra and Wildebeest and only the shooter has been the problem.

    He has also done the above with my 9.3x62 in 285 gr.

    He doesn't feel the 285gr. bullet helps him more than the 140gr. partition. It's all down to where he puts the bullet

    Have seen him put a Wildebeest bull down on open plain at 250 metres and it took but 10 steps.

    Only in the abattoir did I notice the back end if the Partition sticking out of the chest ! It had gone in the kill zone, taken heart and bounced off the far rib and only the mushroom stopped it reversing out the front. 70%'weight retention.

    I know the calibre is "light for Africa" but it's the bullet we are talking about here.

    Stan

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    If you can afford a plains game safari, I would spend the the extra few quid for premium bullets - Nosler Partitions, Barnes TTSX etc.

    I would not risk a trophy fee on a cheap, relatively soft cup and core bullet. If you make an animal bleed, you are paying for it whether it is recovered or not.

    Get the Barnes bullets.
    I'll be back again in Africa this year, my fifth trip, have tried all the mentioned premium bullets above, and will be using the ones that have always performed best, ones the P.H.s are always impressed with, Barnes TTX's Deerwarden

  9. #9
    The Sierra GK is not a "soft target bullet". They come in different constructions, different jackets, different lead alloys. For example, the 7mm 160-gr Gameking comes in two forms, SPBT and HPBT. The HPBT is actually tougher than the SPBT, and probably retains weight and penetrates as well as a Nosler Partition or Accubond.

    As a matter of fact, the .30 caliber 168-gr Matchking is tough enough to not be classified as an expanding bullet, and meets international conventions for military use.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    The Sierra GK is not a "soft target bullet". They come in different constructions, different jackets, different lead alloys. For example, the 7mm 160-gr Gameking comes in two forms, SPBT and HPBT. The HPBT is actually tougher than the SPBT, and probably retains weight and penetrates as well as a Nosler Partition or Accubond.

    As a matter of fact, the .30 caliber 168-gr Matchking is tough enough to not be classified as an expanding bullet, and meets international conventions for military use.
    People here shoot elk, moose and bear with GKs. There is nothing flimsy about these animals.~Muir

Similar Threads

  1. Sierra Gameking 165 Grain
    By 762Scot in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15-11-2014, 22:53
  2. *SOLD* 6.5 Sierra Gameking 140gr
    By 6.5rem700 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-04-2014, 23:22
  3. For Sale Sierra Gameking
    By Max in forum Reloading
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 13:24
  4. Sierra GameKing
    By JabaliHunter in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25-04-2011, 11:13
  5. .243 sierra gameking
    By Dawnraider in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 19:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •