Thread: Deet.

Deet.

Anyone know if Deet sprays have a shelf life?, (for shelf, read Landrover dash).
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    finnbear

Yes, deet ceases to become effective about a second before the first of the little bu**ers bites you

I've tried all sorts of repellants and from what I can tell most of them work by attraction - if I put the stuff on all the little biting things are repelled from everyone else and attracted to me!

willie_gunn

Despite my sensitve skin and personality... Deet at 50% or better is the only stuff that works for me. Tend to go through bottles of it up here so shelf ( sorry dash ) life not fully tested. However, using bulk stock that was about 3 years old last season - it was fine. If it ever stops snowing up here I'l let you know it is this year.

Suspect DEET has a built in failsafe - likely will eat its way out of the bottle before goes off!

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I have found the Jungle Formula stuff very good inthe past.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    I have found the Jungle Formula stuff very good inthe past.TJ
    It was once the best on the market but following unfavourable medical reports in the US and elsewhere they diluted the formula back in the late 80's early 90's for the main retail product.

There have been countless threads over the years across the fora with an absolute mass of first class information contained in them regarding this "irritating" wee problem.

IIRC you now have to seek out the Jungle Formula Extra Strength product if you want something akin to what the original product had by way of repellent qualities

DEET can be heavy stuff, doesn't like synthetic clothing and can damage them. Keep it natural: Nordic Summer repellent.