Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a litter research

Having a litter research

I may be wrong but it happens on here and else where. One thing I struggle to grasp is selling off pups from a litter.
    Would it not be better to do research before a mating took place. I do struggle to understand why anyone would have a litter before research was done to see what takers there would be
    I know I would. So why do folk have a litter then advertise them. I'm just curious.

Litters are not of a known number of pups usually.
    maybe larger litters may result
    in a surplus of pups?

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Litters are not of a known number of pups usually.
    maybe larger litters may result
    in a surplus of pups?
    True but you'd have a rough idea of how many pups may be born if no yur breed I no I would with my teckels.
    say just curious.

I know relatively little about litters etc, but when we were acquiring out HWV pup last year the first litter we were waiting for turned out to only have 4 pups in it (we missed out as we were lower down the waiting list than that).

we were then lucky enough to find a pup that was from a litter of 13!!

Even if you know how many pups a bitch is carrying there is no way that you will know the sex of the pups until the bitch whelps .
    Also a breeder may well have a good waiting list but you would be surprised how many people that have asked to be on a list get a pup elsewhere and don't bother letting the breeder know .
    the important thing is only letting the pups go to suitable homes with owners that you are comfortable with and being prepared to run on a couple of pups if necessary until that home comes along .

Some breeders I know are just like puppy farms and are in it for the money. Some breed as they want to keep a line going, some just would like a pup from their dog, there are numerous reasons people breed. But mainly for money.

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Some breeders I know are just like puppy farms and are in it for the money. Some breed as they want to keep a line going, some just would like a pup from their dog, there are numerous reasons people breed. But mainly for money.
    Which is why I'm asking.
    I understand that which is why I'm asking as noone knows the number of pups that may be born. Just majority of the time it's a litter for sale not a couple of pups.
    I could breed from mine knowing full well that they'd be homed instantly and to folk who I'd trust not in it for the money.
    Last edited by weeman; 02-01-2016 at 18:18.

The two society's for hounds in Germany ie KBGS and verein hirschmann e.V only have litters for members that need a dog,
    each year a list is drawn up of members needing a hound then litters are planned and are carefully selected to get the best from each litter to further the breed and society's. You must first go on a course so you understand how to train and get the best from you and the dog to again make sure you both can give the best all of this with a cheaper price than current market price of an un papered health checked and tested dog, Atb Wayne
    Last edited by mereside; 02-01-2016 at 18:29.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Hi I only take a litter when I'm needing a pup for myself. Not to be taking lightly I have lost two really good bitches over the years on resulting in losing 4 generation line. Have not taking a litter for 7 years now as we scots can't dock spaniels. Have had to travel to England for my last springer and sons cocker.
    Jim

No one will admit to making money from selling pups, people would rather admit to having a unfaithful partner !. But 99.99% of litters are bred to make money. Simple as. I have absolutely nothing against that whatsoever but the utter ***** people come out with , rather than admit the truth, is absolutely sickening.