Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Migrant workers

Migrant workers

I have had an eye opener this last couple of weeks, been knocking off a few more bunnies for my asparagus farmer friend, on picking up a few to stick in the shade under the truck, I was asked by one of the young polish pickers that are staying for 7/8 weeks, if I would allow him to take some for the pot, I was pleased to say yes, well since that, for the life of me, I have'nt been able to get a decent sized pair home for dog food!.......... It was a treat to watch him prep too!, two small nails through the hock over the end of a picnic table........ in the blink of an eye they were in the pot! a bit of pidg'in english/polski through the last fortnight & we are getting on like old friends, he has described how they have deer in abundance close to the russian border, I let him have a lump of venison from the bottom of the freezer, I may get some chance of places to stay / people to talk to for a bit of Swinia hunting.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Immigrant or migrant workers

The ruination of Britain some may not like my views, on the other hand I don't care, Ive seen the damage these immigrant workers are doing to the construction industry of in UK there working for washers ,the country won't pay its own workers a decent price for contract work, if the work all goes pear shaped they throw away the mobile phone and buy another, ask for huge lump sums up front before starting work usually to buy tools the list is endless.

These are one of the reasons that your kids can't and won't get apprenticeships when these immigrant works will do the work for less than an apprentices wage.

Ive listened to the politicians all say we require school leavers ,to get back to trade backgrounds the country requires trades people ,as this type of work/industry has been waylaid for computer type industries,one of the very reasons for that is the immigrant workers are taking traditional apprentice work .

The kids sit in the house doing you nut in with the hand out all the time or at college doing much the same .

You're right WS, but you can't blame the individuals for wanting a better life. It's the fault of the government for letting it happen. If you were in their situation I'm sure you would do the same.
    We all seem to have forgotten the 80's hit tv comedy called 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet', where a group of British migrant construction workers went off to work in Germay because the money was better!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    You're right WS, but you can't blame the individuals for wanting a better life. It's the fault of the government for letting it happen. If you were in their situation I'm sure you would do the same.
    We all seem to have forgotten the 80's hit tv comedy called 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet', where a group of British migrant construction workers went off to work in Germay because the money was better!
    MS
    Absolutely
    the very reason they call Britain treasure island money the day they land ,time we take a look at Denmark they said come to our country BUT speak the language and no benefits for seven years have they went to Denmark "NO"

MS, The guys in auf weidersehen pet were living in a site hut and had no health insurance and paid no NI stamp or tax. If they didn't work they got no money.
    Incomers to our country get proper housing, health treatment and spare cash for kids etc whether they work or not !!

Don't know if they grow asparagus in Denmark, but what I do know is, I wouldn't bend my back like these youngsters do, & I know for a fact that none of the indigenous youth round here would line up for anything that needs physical effort of this sort either, so should we not grow asparagus, & fly that cr*p they have in the supermarkets in from Peru?, the reason this country is seen as an easy option is because people of my age didn't listen to Enoch!, I served time in a garage learning a trade & I have been pipe welding for the last 28 years, lots of Polish / Turkish welders about..... just as skilled, maybe thats why we don't have busy slips at Lairds any more?Or is it just that the long line of incompetents that are supposed to steer our country couldn't do a decent job of it?, going back to the Poles that are here at the mo', I hear they travel for 36 hours on a coach just to reach a french port, must be something in the backbone maybe?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

WS

I can see where you are coming from and I understand your point of view. However, being a farm manager for a large veg growing operation and having had considerable experience on one of the largest organic vegetable business' in the UK I can tell you that without any doubt in my mind what so ever that the British do not want jobs that involve hard graft. I used to employ around 120 workers a day for hand weeding/harvesting operations, these included Poles, Russians, Latvians, Curds, Lithos the list goes on. I only had one team of Brits who were pretty good lads, but when Donny Rovers played on a Saturday you couldn't count on them all turning up the next day, or if they did they would mostly be pissed. Now I don't know if you know anything about harvesting Broccoli, Cauliflower or Courgettes but just because a gang doesn't show it doesnt stop growing to wait for them to turn up the next day. So when you've got a spec to harvest to and no gang the product can go out of spec in a day! Also pissed up gang and sharp knives don't tend to go together believe me, I speak from experience.
    Another point is the continuity of labour, once a team is trained to cut cauliflowers for arguments sake, and 2 don't show so you have put 2 into a team that have never done it before a whole days work can be wasted through inexperienced cutters doing a poor job. As a manager I need people I can trust and rely on, the unfortunate truth is that the foriegn workers provide this and not the brits. Sorry!

All the best

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    MS, The guys in auf weidersehen pet were living in a site hut and had no health insurance and paid no NI stamp or tax. If they didn't work they got no money.
    Incomers to our country get proper housing, health treatment and spare cash for kids etc whether they work or not !!
    These migrant workers are just that, migrant............... notice the spelling? bit different to immigrant?, these kids come over every year for six to eight weeks that the crop shows, then they are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    These migrant workers are just that, migrant............... notice the spelling? bit different to immigrant?, these kids come over every year for six to eight weeks that the crop shows, then they are gone.
    Oh yes to claim our benefits for 3 months after there gone and the child benefit for twelve months after there gone to where ever they came from the system that WE pay into is being hammered beyond belief .

Amhuinnsuidhe: what did you do before the wall came down before your migrant workers could come to the UK who did you use then form what i can remember of large scale farming operations it was always casual workers when it was benefit day the fields were empty when the benefit agency turned up at the farm there were people bomb bursting all over the fields ,
    I dare say that still happens .

I does however suit some people like seasonal worker and employers if only it was true about them going home until the next season but its not .

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Sorry. What, exactly, does all this have to do with stalking? Some of what I'm reading would be better placed on a BNP website.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 15-05-2010 at 09:47.