AT tyres

caorach

I need to run 225 65s on 17 inch rims. For the last 4 years I've been running the Yokohama geolander ats tyres and they have been pretty good, I've been especially impressed with them on snow. However I'm interested if anyone might have views on the other options available in that size, basically, that I can see, it comes down to

general grabber at (not the at2)
Toyo open country
Maxxis a771 bravo

Needless to say I'm especially interested in anyone who can make a direct comparison.

ive tried the Dunlop grand treks and they were actually ok but not as good as the yokos so they fit but are not under consideration. At the minute I'm between the yokos and the general grabbers and looking at the pattern on the generals my concern is that they won't work as well in snow as the yokos. Sure I'm only using them in snow 3 - 5 days per year but when I need them to work on snow I need them bad.

ive got the maxis on a hilux they are resonable but nothing is as good as the BFG AT simply the best all terrain tyre

On my hilux I've got general grabbers the old type that look like bfg's there not a bad tyre for the money but I think I'll try actual BFG A/T next

A friend is running cooper Zeon LTZ's on a Disco - he was impressed by their lack of road wear and I was impressed by their traction on soft ground!

I've been running Bridgestone Duellers for 8 years and they seem popular with other members of our shoot - they're not as off-road as others but I've never been stuck for grip even in the snow of 2010 in Cairngorm.

I'm running the Cooper Zeon LTZ on my Discovery. Really impressed on road and the best off road I have tried bar the BFG MT's. Way superior to the Grabber AT2 and AT, much much better than both on wet tarmac. Found the AT's frightening.

I had the Geolander ATS on a previous Discovery and found them useless off road on anything other than damp grass.

If you can get hold of them try the Zeon LTZ, you won't be disappointed. My current set has 18k on them, I am expecting to get 25-30k.

Regards

Ed

I have ran Pirrelli scorpion, Bf Goodrich and Gen Grabbers all AT and in my expirience the Pirrelli were crap off road, B F brilliant and got 55k out of them and now running Grabbers ,, NEVER AGAIN. (BF all day long)

Cheers Paul

The options mentioned in my post above are the only tyres that fit so I'm looking to pick the best of that bunch.

On my second set of Grabber ATs, (just changed at 34k and 4mm), after Geolanders. Run over Warwickshire muddy farm tracks and wet grass, borders tracks and moor, NW Highlands rock and snow. Great tyres, quiet on the road for that long haul north. In my experience, when you run out of grip or traction with these, you either need proper M/Ts if it is very wet and muddy or you are on sheet ice or heavy, sodden clay, in which case you are in trouble whatever tyres you've got ...

I've had Goodrich AT which were good, Pirelli Scorpions which were ok but perished in 3 years (Pirelli refused to do anything about that) and currently run General Grabber AT2's which have been on for 4 years and seem excellent. They are on a Landy 110 so I can't really comment about road noise from the tyres though!

Grabber AT was introduced in Europe to replace the AT2, in order to comply with EU noise level limits. AT2 were good tyres (ran them in Canada when I was posted there a few years ago) but the current ATs seem just as good but a lot quieter - and cheaper in the UK.

On my second set of Grabber ATs, (just changed at 34k and 4mm), after Geolanders.

thank you, it was most useful to get a comparison between my two top choices. The geolanders have done me well on snow but I didn't think they were great on wet mud over stones so I wasn't completely sold on them plus it is nice to try something different.

+1 for Grabber AT's. Fantastic on my old Disco, never let me down off road in a bog or in snow, but civilized enough for tarmac.

Just had a set of 255-55x18 Grabber AT2s fitted to my Shogun sport, the choice based on having them on my fronty for 5 years which went everywhere, they are excellent 50/50 tyres, the shogun had more road biased Goodyear Wranglers on it when i bought it two years ago, there is a little more road noise from the AT2s but its barely noticeable.

Ian.

I have just put a set of Maxxis on my Jimny and they have done me proud so far and are better everywhere than the Bridgestone dulers it came with. My next tyres will be Maxxis again also.

ATB

Matt

I am running 245/70/16 AT's on my Isuzu, they provide good road grip and performance with adequate grip in medium off road conditions. I have never taken them the full monty as I am usually on my todd and its no fun doing a self recovery!
My local garage who supplied them are really pushing me to try "Kumho KL71 Road Venture MT Kumho - KL 71" as they advise they are used extensively by the local keepers and estate managers, and returning 44K miles, any one have any experience?

Only reason I ask is I have just replaced my rears with another set of AT's, but have either been real unlucky or the new ones are picking up objects like mad (not puncture resistant), as I have had 2 punctures in 1 month with one new tyre written off, so not so pleased at the moment!

Khumo KL71's are noisy being mud-terrains and way overpriced. I have just sold mine and as i said earlier fitted the new GG AT's which are so quiet i can now hear the heater motor. KL71's are pretty dodgey on wet roads and not really up to much in soft ground. I won't have them again.

I've just bought some wheels to go on my Ford Ranger that are fitted with Insa Turbo Ranger AT tyres which are as new. Yes, they are remoulds, but apparently very good ones which pass all the stringent safety tests. The tread looks to be a very close copy of the BF Goodrich AT tyres. They certainly look the part and seem to get some good reviews. I haven't even fitted them yet, but for the cost, they look to be a viable choice. Has anybody used them?
MS

I have ran Pirrelli scorpion, Bf Goodrich and Gen Grabbers all AT and in my expirience the Pirrelli were crap off road, B F brilliant and got 55k out of them and now running Grabbers ,, NEVER AGAIN. (BF all day long)

Cheers Paul

BF AT's on my truck mate and they have done 55k, just had the mot done on the truck and he gave me advisories on them, so time for some new ones,

4 years out of a set of tyres= awesome

BF's are expensive but if they last 4-5 years on Tarmac and fields , it's money well spent

atb

kjf

Back