Mike Yardley on LBC

Hereford

Just listened to Mike Yardley on LBC talking to Petri about the Lion hunt raffle being run by a Zimbabwe reserve to raise funds.

A very capable, reasonable and intelligent speaker - worth a listen if you can - if we ever wanted a spokesman for the sport, there's my vote right there!

This is going to be an interesting thread because not everyone thinks the same of him,don't ask me why,I just know there are split opinions,will be interesting though....

Mike Yardley is a traitor to the sport.

He has placed himself so high on a pedestal that a little push would topple him. Great white hunter isn't the acceptable face of shooting. He doesn't represent me.

He didn't come across as a great white hunter* - maybe he's mellowed - his thoughts today echoed, dare I say, the concencsous sometimes achieved on here...

*This wasn't intended to be a contenscious thread - the interview is worth a listen

Always liked him, personally.

re comment about military rifles or in camo...always fun down at Bisley when you see a good number of shooters lined up on Century. Some in their target rifle straightjackets, some in pink shirts and Panama hats, and there's always one in camo shooting a tactical rifle with his kit in military storage boxes.

Whilst i I accept it takes all sorts to make a world and we shooters should stick together...I think having that image of the SAS wannabe shooter in the public mind is not helpful.

He comes across as a nob but is very experienced in all aspects of shooting sports. He has forgotten more than most on here has yet to learn. He was never a Motorhead fan.

Always liked him, personally.

re comment about military rifles or in camo...always fun down at Bisley when you see a good number of shooters lined up on Century. Some in their target rifle straightjackets, some in pink shirts and Panama hats, and there's always one in camo shooting a tactical rifle with his kit in military storage boxes.

Whilst i I accept it takes all sorts to make a world and we shooters should stick together...I think having that image of the SAS wannabe shooter in the public mind is not helpful.

Fair point

Although I suppose if a member of the public saw me in summer creeping about the woods in a camo t-shirt and facemask, with a camo-taped up synthetic stocked rifle they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between us

edit: that's a pigeon-shooting camo net type facemask, not one of the wife's beauty cream ones. That would be really odd. Especially with the cucumbers over the eyes.

Last edited:
I have stated in a previous thread that MY was an excellent ambasador for all shooting sports, unfortunately he seems to have lost the plot big time and appears to believe that he alone has the right to dictate what is and what is not correct and acceptable in the name of shooting.
He does not speak for me.
He speaks to his own agenda.
IMO.

"A very capable, reasonable and intelligent speaker" if you pay him enough or give him the hunt for free he will sing you a song of joy he do's know a lot then he do's like to talk ???

i used to like mike yardley but he is a big hypocrite in my eyes after some of his recent Facebook postings.

i used to like mike yardley but he is a big hypocrite in my eyes after some of his recent Facebook postings.

My view exactly, he seems to have some sort of agenda, and his face book comments are misleading and unhelpful for UK shooters, he is using american examples to carry his argument on black weaponry but fails to declare this in his statements.
He is deliberately providing ammunition for antis IMHO.

Personally I'm looking forward to hearing about one of the members here on The Stalking Directory doing as much in print and in practice to defend shooting and shooting sports as Mike Yardley has over the years.

Whatever his views on camo clothing and tactical weapons, the man has been a staunch and vocal advocate for shooting.

I only wish those who criticise from behind a keyboard were so willing to stand up in public and be counted.

Personally I'm looking forward to hearing about one of the members here on The Stalking Directory doing as much in print and in practice to defend shooting and shooting sports as Mike Yardley has over the years.

Whatever his views on camo clothing and tactical weapons, the man has been a staunch and vocal advocate for shooting.

I only wish those who criticise from behind a keyboard were so willing to stand up in public and be counted.
If it was possible to meet up and discuss this face to face with him i would be quite happy to do just that Willie.
I have posted on his facebook page and to date he has failed to respond. I have no interest is military type rifles so have no personal interest in this, other than trying to understand why he would try and divide the shooting fraternity on this matter.
I would recommend you take a bit of time to read some of his views about this and then comment again as to why this one time much admired ambassador for our sport seems hell bent on assisting the antis based on peoples personal preference to what type of firearm they use.

Type his name in to the search box on ukvarminting and have a good read but leave yourself plenty of time as theres a lot to read and most of it not good...Hugh

Back