0 0%
  • A closed season for females only

14 35.00%
  • No closed season

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closed Season For Wild Boar?

Closed Season For Wild Boar?

Well I thought it might be interesting to see what peoples thoughts are on a closed season for wild boar, as we have for our deer (exceptions of course ).

I think I have covered all the bases, but if you have another suggestion please let me know and I will add it in

A little bit about your reasoning would be grand too

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

I think that there should be a closed season for both male and female boar. I think that they should be classed as game rather than vermin too. But I have very little experiance of boar - actually nowt. I can uderstand them being a pest but I think that being able to shooot sows when they have young is not exactly cricket.

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Totally agree with a closed season for both sexes of Wild Boar. When DEFRA asked the question I gave them the same answer, manage Boar properly with a close season, and they can be an asset. No they choose the easy route, let everyone do what they like. Many on here have Boar on their ground and I know some if not all do apply a season and do not shoot sows with piglets, and maintain a regard for the quarry.

Which is how it should be IMHO

Best

Sikamalc

You would soon be told to leave if you were to shoot Mum with piglets in tow on the continent, so why should it be any different here?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    You would soon be told to leave if you were to shoot Mum with piglets in tow on the continent, so why should it be any different here?
    As well as being made to buy the carcass. The way it's done in Germany is that adults are subject to a closed season, but adolescents (uberlaufer) are free to be shot all year round. Any with stripes are off limits.
    It would appear that instead of take advice from people who manage these animals day in, day out DEFRA decided to "have a stab" at it themselves and come up with little more guidance than a suggested minumum calibre.
    It would have been a simple matter to consult with the BDS services branch on the matter as several of it's members are subject matter experts when it comes to wild boar. Boar bores even
    Last edited by Harry mac; 14-05-2010 at 14:25.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    Why closed season for males and when??

Greg
    For the same reason there is a closed season for male deer. To give the area a total rest and allow the females to rear the young though the first critical few months after farrowing. If we applied the Fallow / Sika seasons to Boar also, we would getting close to a decent solution, though I would probably close the females from 31 January.

Maybe I am out of step, I would even give foxes and pigeons a close season unless they were causing real trouble.

All animals should be given some respect.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    For the same reason there is a closed season for male deer. To give the area a total rest and allow the females to rear the young though the first critical few months after farrowing. If we applied the Fallow / Sika seasons to Boar also, we would getting close to a decent solution, though I would probably close the females from 31 January.

Maybe I am out of step, I would even give foxes and pigeons a close season unless they were causing real trouble.

Some of the woodies round here are not getting any rearing time, the forwarder has beeen crunching through a large area of timber near us these last few weeks, must be many nests & squabs on the deck by now.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    DEFRA decided to "have a stab" at it themselves and come up with little more guidance than a suggested minumum calibre.
    From what I can make of it, DEFRA are more concerned with the possible impact that free living wild boar are likely to have on the national domesticated pig herd as a possible disease vector.

The two documents that were eventually released by them appear to reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post

But you shoot roe bucks when there are does having kids... What "total rest" to the area are you talking about? They share the same teritory..
    I agree with what you said about sows and closed season for foxes and pigeon.
    When closed season for male wild boar then?

Greg