Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulsar Quantum thermal imagers - weather proofing

Pulsar Quantum thermal imagers - weather proofing

The Pulsar Quantum thermal imagers HD38S, XD38S, HD50S, and XD50S are given an environmental protection rating of IPX4, meaning "protected against splash water from any direction - limited ingress permitted", or words to that effect. For an electrical item designed to be used outdoors, in all weathers, for many hours at a time, that does not sound high enough to me and I wonder how adequate it is in practice. I would be very interested to hear how users of these devices have got on with them in wet weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I would be very interested to hear how users of these devices have got on with them in wet weather.
    The imagery is not very good when it is drizzling anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    The imagery is not very good when it is drizzling anyway.
    Yes, I've heard that, but weather often changes during a day. Sometimes I have to work on the basis that everything I take with me might get wet, so would I leave the TI at home?

Yes, I've heard that, but weather often changes during a day. Sometimes I have to work on the basis that everything I take with me might get wet, so would I leave the TI at home?
    That was an issue for me last night while sitting for a fox, I was 100 yds from where I know the fox would run to, and for an hour and a half the picture went from being useless to actually see anything clearly, using all aids for an hour in very intermittent rain light made no difference whatever, at time I was in the showers, at other times it appeared to be not raining, then reverted to be its normal brilliant item to aid you once the rain stopped. deerwarden

Neck strap, and just tuck it inside your jacket if you need to.

I have used the quantum's in the rain and not just drizzle. I have had it out on days where I have been soaked right through wearing goretex. They aren't much use if its raining hard but in drizzle you can usually get 2-300 yards range out of a HD38s
    I have been bricking it that it would get water inside and break down but it has proved its quality.
    even when i have changed batteries the insides have been dry.

xd75 has faired very well in some downpours in the last three weeks around SW scotland, its been fairly wet there been no ingress into the battery compartment which i see as the biggest entry point for water ingress

Quote Originally Posted by DeerDucksFishin View Post
    xd75 has faired very well in some downpours in the last three weeks around SW scotland, its been fairly wet there been no ingress into the battery compartment which i see as the biggest entry point for water ingress
    I wonder whether that is the XD75 thermal imaging sight, which is a different tool and which has a rating of IPX7, or am I thinking of completely the wrong thing?

Always carry the pulsar and just tuck it in my jacket when it rains. I'm a bit paranoid about electronics and water especially given the price. A waterproof cover that could easily be detached would be nice, something like the ones you get for digital cameras. Anyone designed one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by les302p View Post
    Always carry the pulsar and just tuck it in my jacket when it rains. I'm a bit paranoid about electronics and water especially given the price. A waterproof cover that could easily be detached would be nice, something like the ones you get for digital cameras. Anyone designed one yet?
    A conventional camera can see through a waterproof cover: a thermal one can't, so I'd stick to tucking it inside your jacket.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay