Stolen items - just in case!

Mr. Gain

Some, ne'er-do-wells got into my Freelander last night and made off with various bits of kit.

I know it is most unlikely that anyone on here will come across it for sale but, just in case, I thought I'd post some details:

• Most missed - my Arktis M84 Danish camo waterproof jacket
But also:

• a pair of ex-Bundeswehr Hensoldt 8x30 binos (a perfect fit for the glove box!)
  • a pair of green Harkila GTX boots, c/w HSF gaiters, and a Highlander boot bag in DPM
  • a pair of black MacWet gloves
  • a small gambrel
  • a pair of Donnington chest spreaders

An odd assortment of stuff, but then it was dark, and raining heavily! And god only knows what sort of idiot thinks that's a good way to start the new year.

Come to think of it, once they saw exactly what they'd grabbed they probably just chucked it over a hedge, so maybe I should just ask the local dog-walkers to keep their eyes peeled.

Happy New Year everyone!

Wonder what use they thought they could put the chest spreaders to - apart from the obvious that is. I expect they will hang up their court suit on the gambrel.

Hope you get your stuff back.

The dis-heartening thing is that if it was stolen to use, it may be someone you know. Probably just someone after enough for their next 'fix' though.

had my car done in Tamworth on a night out ,all i got from the Police was a crime number .not interested in checking for prints or anything same thing said some scrote getting me to pay for his next fix.Good luck finding your stuff ,try the local 2nd hand shops for your bino,s and places like cash converter,s

check out any likely hidey holes within a few hundred yards,they dont carry stuff very far! before they have to have a butchers,,atb doug,

Absolutely disgusting mate, The police talk about the prevention of crime and people do try their utmost to prevent thefts by locking doors to cars houses garages etc etc. When a crime is committed Then Fingerprints DNA ect should be looked for in all instances and then the Crime Detection and Apprehension of the Guilty would Soar and then and only then will the People have trust in the police again. Its like a game of Round and Round in circles but the only ones losing out are the victims, Not only by losing their goods but the price of Insurance goes up, They lose their No Claims Bonus etc etc. Best Of Luck for Finding your gear mate but don't be looking for PC plod to do anything about it.

That's a bugger.

Danish camo isn't that common, so may be worthwhile keeping an eye on auction sites or similar....just in case......

Absolutely disgusting mate, The police talk about the prevention of crime and people do try their utmost to prevent thefts by locking doors to cars houses garages etc etc. When a crime is committed Then Fingerprints DNA ect should be looked for in all instances and then the Crime Detection and Apprehension of the Guilty would Soar and then and only then will the People have trust in the police again. Its like a game of Round and Round in circles but the only ones losing out are the victims, Not only by losing their goods but the price of Insurance goes up, They lose their No Claims Bonus etc etc. Best Of Luck for Finding your gear mate but don't be looking for PC plod to do anything about it.

In practice recovering fingerprints in the ****ing rain is largely a waste of time, as it was when they tried to get them off dusty surfaces in my shed!
DNA ID of all petty theft cases would put cost through the roof and is a cost well in excess of the value of the items stolen

Clearly marking and IDing your items and reporting them so when aforementioned scrote is picked up with the goods and they are clearly yours it goes in his/her undoubtedly large crimial record file for future.
When they get picked up with 20 items reported stolen littered around their nest they get done for 20 counts

1 count of B&E of a vehicle is barely a community service hour if they could actually prove they did it rather than received the goods

dont leave stuff in cars period.
you may as well leave a bag on the roadside as thats about as secure as they are!

Many thanks for your moral support!

I did have a walk around as An-du-ru suggests, assuming they would have stopped at the first discreet place to see just what they'd swiped, but as it was still dark and raining all I managed to achieve was a bit of healthy exercise and to let off a bit of steam.

I was away from before dawn to after dark today having a lovely time on the pheasant shoot, and now it's raining again; and tomorrow I'll be in the office all day, so I'm not sure when I'll get to do any proper fossicking in the bushes.

BTW the bits and bobs -gloves/gambrel/spreaders were in my jacket -as was, I realised after posting, my Leatherman tool. I usually have lots of other bits of small kit in it as well- but fortunately the jacket had been washed only shortly before and I had yet to return my rangefinder, Javelin bipod, buttolo, buff, head torch, etc. to their usual places in its pockets!

Anything I find will be a bonus, and anything I can get out of the insurers will be a miracle, but for now I'll just replace the essentials.

Many thanks for your moral support!

sorry, not meant to be negative but sometimes I think we expect too much of our Police Authorities
There are too many people out there who think nothing of damaging and taking what is not theirs with absolutely no fear of capture or prosecution.

Best course is not to allow them but I appreciate that doesn't help you.

I have a box of cassettes and a tatty old raincoat taken from a car
they did more damage to the car than any of the items value
jacket probably got tossed in a bin along with the tapes

worth sticking a few notes on lamp posts IMO

I had a witness to my bike being stolen come forward in London as a result of that
(only to have the marked car I specifically requested did not attend arrive and put the fear of retribution from the (known) local offenders in her...resulting in no statement!)

One New Year my Brother in Law had his car broken in to and the guy took a dump in the back seat!

Unfortunately their wallet fell out of their pocket during the process and it contained items showing their address.

My Brother in Law went round to their house (just up the road) and returned both items to them.

Now't as strange etc.....

sorry, not meant to be negative.

I've no illusions about the Police's capability to do anything. Their resources are stretched ever thinner. Local assistance is -as you say- the only possible source of help, and my own thoughts were related to possibly recovering discarded gear rather than to tracking the raiders to their lair, or something.

Obviously, if no one left anything in their car, ever, then nothing could be stolen. I guess the difference is that if you keep some essentials in the car they're always there when you need them -until some low-life steals them-, and if you always take them out, they're only there when you remember to grab them before leaving home! They'll still be at home when you get back, of course, but that wasn't much help when you needed them and didn't have them.

Anyway, here's a question: what should I replace my tatty old Hensoldt 8x30s with? A "new" pair of the same from eBay will cost c. £100, but presumably there's something more modern that would offer a better compromise of quality/expandability (I do plan to keep them in the car! Sorry, B500!)

I left a Primos trigger tripod on the ground one night and next day it was gone. I got a video from the trail cam showing a pair coming in and walking out 42 mins later with it under one's arm. Stills were put on Facebook and names came up within an hour, with a warning that they were on heroin and should not be approached. I took the stills to the police with the names and was told that they can't respond to information off social media. The police chap was going to ring back after a few days leave but never did. I asked a customer who recognised them and, being in that sort of network, he got it back from the car it had been left in.

Back