Thread: Lighforce 170 repair

Lighforce 170 repair

My lighforce 170 broke down. The bulb is O.K and the cigarete lighter is O.K. The problem is in the cable or in a connection in the handle. Is there a possibility to do a repair in the handle? Does somebody know where to download a repair manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    My lighforce 170 broke down. The bulb is O.K and the cigarete lighter is O.K. The problem is in the cable or in a connection in the handle. Is there a possibility to do a repair in the handle? Does somebody know where to download a repair manual?
    It is just 12volt, so find a good electrical store and run a new cable, I use one a lot and have replaced the main cable plus a different switch a long time ago. Also I secured the cable very well to stop any pulling through the body.
    A good place to look is a shop which sells the car amps for there base speakers as they run a lot of juice and make that ####ing racket going down the road.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

There seem to be connections in the handle at a place wich seems unreachable. I know the problem is between the bulb and the plug. I can cut the cable and find out if it's in the handle or in the cable outside the handle. Any idea how to reach the connections in the handle( if needed ) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    There seem to be connections in the handle at a place wich seems unreachable. I know the problem is between the bulb and the plug. I can cut the cable and find out if it's in the handle or in the cable outside the handle. Any idea how to reach the connections in the handle( if needed ) ?
    They got it in there so you will have to dig around a bit!!

Good luck

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    They got it in there so you will have to dig around a bit!!

Good luck

Tim.243
    the cables can be accessed they will come out through the end where the bulb sits you may have to drill off a rivet from the metal casing that holds the bulb then, It will all pull through do you repair then pull it back through and replace the tiny rivet. Can be a bit fiddly but is not to bad when you get stuck in.

Thanks for the help. We discovered that the bulb support can be lifted out with a small screwdriver and be put back in place. The problem was with the attachement of one of the wires in the plug. This repaired and the next one broke. We now have put 2m extra cable between the plug and the Original cable. No more pressure on the cable-plug connection.

I fought this for years, constantly re-wiring with the original wire getting shorter. It's very brittle.

About a year ago I gave in and bought some orange flymo type flex. Swapped it out and have never looked back! Can make it your own bespoke length and the coiled cable doesn't get caught on stuff.

Google and look on pigeon watch or similar and it's a known problem - great lamps, useless cable but as far as I know nothing better on the market.

As an aside, anyone tried the new fangled battery versions - must take away a big faff of cables.

Your problem is probably the cigar lighter plug,as these just do not fit firmly enough and while out lamping the connection gets a little loose and it starts to arc and then the cable gets very hot.Keep this up and it will eventually become buggered,so it is a good idea to put a better fitting between the battery and the lamp,and a good one is the sort you get on say a Flymo mower joiner like this one,I have and it doesn't get hot anymore.......

2 PIN ORANGE RUBBER CONNECTOR 10A IN-LINE GARDEN LAWNMOWER 2PFC10 PLUS ABM LAMP CATALOGUE: Amazon.co.uk: Garden Outdoors

Martin

Thanks. The problem was at the connection cable - cigarette plug. To much pressure as the wire is to short. We've put abaout 2 metres of extra ( non elastic) wire between the plug and the old cable and it's fine now. The plug stays in place very well even on bad tracks. Never any pressure on the cable. I can even walk out the car almost up to the front with the lamp in hand.
    An new fitting is the best, combined with a longer wire. A friend changed the plug with a completely different model and never looked back.