Peltor SportTac ear defenders.

8x57

Distinguished Member
I treated myself to a set of Peltor SportTac electronic ear defenders for Christmas. I chose these mainly based on past recommendations from shooters on this site but am wondering if mine may be faulty.

When I switch them on unless I have the volume switched right down low there is a distinct hissing sound that pulses slightly. Now I thought that they were able to actually amplify sound so as to be able to hear approaching game. I have contacted the manufacturers and suppliers and replaced the batteries with new as they have suggested but the result is still the same.

Am I expecting too much from these ear defenders or do those that own such items of kit think as I do that mine may be faulty and may need to be returned?

Hi, I have a pair of these defenders and mine worked fine no pulsing noise or hissing and were very good until i used them on a wet day. now they are intermittent and will only switch on when they feel like it, i purchased them in france and i have left the receipt there so i hope i can take them back to the shop on my return, as a fill in i have bought a pair of cheap electronic defenders off of ebay £29 and so far they have worked fine, cheers Geoff

I agree, faulty.

I use an accessory lead with mine and plug my iPhone into them so I can take calls and listen to podcasts when there's not much happening - still receives and amplifies ambient noise at the same time though so quite a handy feature - very occasionally when the lead passes over the earmuff part I get a short hiss of interference, but they are otherwise quiet.

I'm on my second pair - first pair got soaked then would run the battery down when switched off. Were exchanged but second pair suffer the same problem after a soaking - I now just take the batteries out after every use.

They sound faulty - I have the Howard Sleights and they amplify but no pulsing or hissing

No hissing with mine, in fact after about 30 seconds I tend to forget I have them on, except I can hear the birds singing for a change!

I wear a set of Peltor ProTac and my lad a pair of Peltor Sportac. All is fine until they are brought close together and one gets electrical interference. However, by close, I mean within a foot or so. Do you wear any other electrical equipment that could run interference? If not, then I would be with everyone else and say they're faulty. Both pairs of mine have performed faultlessly for the 2-3 years we've had and used them.

Back