Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programme on why people hunt on BBC World Service

Programme on why people hunt on BBC World Service

Hello everyone and a Happy New Year!

I've just listened to this programme "The Why Factor - Hunting" on the iPlayer which should be of interest. It touches on many of the topics we discussed late last year in this thread.

BBC World Service - The Why Factor, Hunting

Interestingly, in that thread I'd mentioned that apparently there was very little good scientific literature on this, and this is confirmed here where all they can come up with is that a very small number of hunters may hunt because they're psychopaths, but the lady interviewed does make it clear that this is a marginal finding. There's a South African hunter who quite eloquently tries to explain how it feels, and an interesting piece about "a new breed of hipster hunters". I don't think that's a very good way of putting it but I do understand what they mean. There is no firm conclusion at the end, and I don't think there can be a single one, but this is a good attempt at a balanced view by and for non-hunters. Well worth 18 minutes of your time.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Thanks for this

I'll try to give it a listen this evening.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks, I'll catch up with this in the car.

There was one about Hind stalking on Farming today at the end of last year too.
    Starbucks. It's not my cup of tea.

It seems rather an odd topic for the series to include as all the other programmes I've heard are about showing how things that are taken for granted as culturally normal from a BBC Radio 4 perspective may have less obvious dimensions.

Here, however, it seems as though the programme makers have chosen an activity that is regarded as culturally abnormal within that perspective and struggled to understand it. I guess there's no reason why they shouldn't turn their table in this way, and it will be interesting to infer, as the series progresses, what they regard as comparable topics.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I thought it was good. It generally presented hunting in a neutral to positive light, although it was clear that the British deer stalker interviewed didn't feel able to say that he actually liked stalking and shooting the deer. Yes we do these things for the best meat and the good of the deer herd(s) - but if it wasn't enjoyable, which of us would do it?

There was one exception: no-one had anything good to say about pure trophy hunting specifically for the purposes of showing off. But then many of us are uncomfortable with that too, although it's a minority pursuit.
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

I listened to it today and thought it was very good - with the exception of the idiot phsychoanalyst who seemed determined to link hunting with being a sadistic psychopath, although even she then had to admit she was only talking about a tiny proportion of hunters

I thought both the US hunter and the South African hunter gave an interesting perspective on things, but I have to say I thought the chap from here in the UK (Chris Dalton?) was outstanding, with no bragging, no bravado and no bu11****. He came across very well, and I'd think there's a few of our opponents who would shy away from entering into reasoned and rational debate with him.

My only real disappointment was that the time allocated didn't allow the exploration of some of the points that were raised. For example the South African hunter mentioned about the tracker, but it would have been interesting to look at why modern naturalists often laud native hunters for their skills and lifestyle yet castigate hunters who are only displaying the same traits but using modern technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    There was one exception: no-one had anything good to say about pure trophy hunting specifically for the purposes of showing off. But then many of us are uncomfortable with that too, although it's a minority pursuit.
    Although there was mention of how trophy hunting brings employment and revenue into areas that would otherwise miss out.

It's interesting that in light of the episode with Cecil the lion, I think many pundits now believe that all hunting takes place on the borders of well-known game reserves, with the hunters effectively competing with the regular wildlife tourists. That scenario gives our opponents the opportunity to say that hunting could be banned and it would have no impact on the local community, as wildlife tourists would simply fill the void created. Of course a lot of hunting takes place in areas where the wildlife tourists rarely venture....but that point rarely seems to be aired.

I'm afraid I had to give up on it about half way into it as I found the lack of distinction between 'the desire to hunt' & 'the desire to kill' intensely irritating.

Yes, it's Chris Dalton.

I listened. It was interesting. More of this type of thing needs to be done. There were parts that stereotyped regarding hunters as 'killers' or psychopathic, but it also suggested other possibilities that are in general so far removed from contemporary urban life in the UK that the prejudiced public have no idea of. I enclose reference to a book I have read recently by an author who was vegan and through his own philosophical journey became a deer hunter who very much eats his deer. The Mindful Carnivore: A Vegetarians Hunt for Sustenance: Tovar Cerulli: Amazon.com: Books