Thread: Affordable driven or guided rough shoot for 2016 for a day

Affordable driven or guided rough shoot for 2016 for a day

I have been asked by a good client to take him out next year for a day shooting as it's something he's never done.

Ideally the location would be around Cambs, Norfolk, Suffolk.

I'm thinking we have a couple of options but am open to suggestion as I'm not experienced in driven days, etc!

Option 1

We join a team of guns on a driven day that would include lunch, etc, but would need to be pretty down to earth and newbie friendly. Also we would not be expecting to shoot loads of birds and cost could be a factor with this kind of day.

Option 2 (My preferred if it's possible)

We join someone who has access to their own ground who could arrange a day rough shooting as our guide so to speak. Maybe have a go at some clays in the morning for an hour to get our eye in, grab a full english, have a wander for a few hours until dark then go for a pub meal and a few pints. If a minimum number is required I could invite another one or two people and get a B&B sorted for 1 night too.

Any thoughts or anyone on here that could do something?

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Stratts

First off, what a lucky client! Both of your options sound like they would be good fun.

A couple of thoughts that might help if no-one on here can come up trumps:

1. Have a look at "Guns on Pegs" to see what they have available. They often do days "by the peg" as it were, and most of those who use their services know that you can get a mix of people on any given day.

2. Maybe have a word with local keepers to see if any of them do Boundary days, where typically you might do a "beat one, stand one" format around the outside coverts. These are not as formal - or as costly - as a normal driven day. On the flip side, you may find that the keepers may want to keep these for known guns, etc.

One other observation; you say that your client has never been on a day's driven shooting. You don't say whether he has any experience with shotguns in general or game shooting in particular. If not I'd strongly advise spending a half-day or so beforehand ensuring he's comfortable with both a shotgun and some of the etiquette around game shooting. By the latter I don't mean that he has to turn up in tweeds, use a Purdey or suchlike, but rather some of the basic rules around gun safety, not shooting low birds, picking up cartridges, tipping the keeper, etc. These simply guidelines can go a long way to preventing any embarrassment on either his part or yours. If it helps, I have a list that I share with inexperienced guns that I can send through by email if you drop me your address.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks matey I'll PM you my email as it would be handy for me as I've never been on a proper driven day, only beaters days on my local small shoot.

I know he's been shooting before but am not sure if it was just clays. I've already told him we need to go a couple of times on the clays before the big day and I'm arranging a clay & archery day for a group of us which involves tuition too and food, etc, in the spring,

Cheers

Stratts

If your willing to travel I can sort either of your options at good affordable prices

Evening Stratts,

If you would like to come as far as Notts, I'm sure we could between us, sort something out to keep your guest interested.

Regards Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    If your willing to travel I can sort either of your options at good affordable prices
    Thanks mate I think I'll get sorted down this neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    Evening Stratts,

If you would like to come as far as Notts, I'm sure we could between us, sort something out to keep your guest interested.

Regards Trev.
    Cheers mate I spotted your threads yesterday funnily enough. Notts aint too bad as we'll likely end up stopping overnight anyway. I'll be in touch and sort some dates out as i am meeting up with him next week and will see what he wants to do,

Stratts

Well the SD has come up trumps with some great offers yet again and I'll easily be able to sort a day or two next season.

Many thanks guys all PM's replied to,

Stratts