Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last minute addition to 2015 new experiences: Star Wars lamping.

Last minute addition to 2015 new experiences: Star Wars lamping.

I didn’t have time at the end of last year share a quick account of an afternoon I spent with Buckup to mark the beginning of my Christmas holidays a fortnight ago. We’d met a couple of times before at the last two H4H shoots in Bisley and he’d invited me to come and try to shoot some rabbits with him as he lives quite close to me. The first time, he’d made his kind offer whilst I was in the middle of burning myself over the barbecue and so I’m afraid my response may have come across quite short. However this year, he reiterated it, and so we arranged a date. Now I thought I was being invited to try to shoot a rabbit with my little CZ452 stutzen, but in the event, it turned out that this would be preceded by a foray after deer! The generosity of the people I meet through SD never ceases to surprise me. This is a good thing of course, it wouldn’t do to grow complacent about it…

As it happened, conditions were pretty awful for stalking with high winds and rain. We did manage to stalk to within about twenty metres of a hare who was hunkered down in the open in a field, but of course I hadn’t brought any 16 bore cartridges for my drilling. And whereas we couldn’t find any muntjac, slowly creeping through the more sheltered, wooded valley, we could have had some fantastic pigeon roost shooting. It wasn’t to be, so after a highseat session up a swaying tree, I called it an afternoon, especially as the old 6x43 scope on the drilling is just not as good an my Swarovski binoculars in low light. At one point, I wasn’t sure whether I was looking at a hare, a fox, a muntjac, so I unloaded and climbed down from my perch.

We stopped for a pint on the way to the rabbiting ground which was a chance to get to know each other better, after which we headed off for my first ever lamping session, with Buckup driving slowly through the mostly waterlogged fields, and me sitting on an old office chair at the back, resting my rifle on a sack of charcoal on the roof of the cab, which was novel! It took me a couple of missed opportunities to catch the knack of finding a rabbit in a small circle of red light surrounded by darkness in the scope, but finally, in the top corner of a field, I shot my first ever rabbit with my little .22LR!

2016-01-04_11-37-06 by pinemarten, on Flickr

As it happened, that was the only one, and I’ve discovered the quite limited accurate range of the .22, but I daresay a little more practice should help. Unfortunately, there were no hares to be seen this time, but Buckup gave me one from his freezer to add to my rabbit, which I subsequently did justice too with a traditional Alsatian Hasepfeffer with home-made Spaetzle.

2016-01-04_11-35-54 by pinemarten, on Flickr

Hopefully, I shall be back to visit this year at some stage, perhaps when the ground dries up a bit, which looks like quite a distant prospect right now.

Oh, and the Star Wars thing? Well the next day, Mrs PM and I went to see The Force Awakens. There’s a bit with fighters chasing each other through space with a pilot doing the spotting and another firing the lasers: “That’s sort of what I was doing yesterday” I explained. Sort of.

Nice one, and what a cracking little rifle.......

Sounds like you had a good time. I too had my first experience of lamping a few days ago, with Joed, although you had more luck. The weather was against us and the few rabbits we did see were long gone before we could consider getting a shot.
    I did get very excited at the prospect of a fox though, after I caught its eyes in the lamp. It kept disappearing and we had quite the game of cat and mouse with Joe squeaking and me doing my best to keep tabs on the weaving pair of eyes. But then they disappeared one final time and try as we might we couldn't tempt it back or catch another glimpse.
    Alas, you can't shoot anything sitting in your living room, so a blank outing is none the less worthwhile!

I don't know what Alsatian Hasepfeffer is, but I hope it's nothing like Labrador Pie or Poodle Surprise
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    I don't know what Alsatian Hasepfeffer is, but I hope it's nothing like Labrador Pie or Poodle Surprise
    It is a hare stew that requires every single dish, pan and horizontal surface that you have to prepare and an insane amount of time. Apparently it was the only thing my grandfather in Alsace ever cooked, once a year, and he didn't clear up behind him as I do... I don't know about your dog based dishes though. Are they anything like the Harey Pie I made with the leftovers?

2016-01-04_11-36-41 by pinemarten, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    It is a hare stew that requires every single dish, pan and horizontal surface that you have to prepare and an insane amount of time. Apparently it was the only thing my grandfather in Alsace ever cooked, once a year, and he didn't clear up behind him as I do... I don't know about your dog based dishes though. Are they anything like the Harey Pie I made with the leftovers?

2016-01-04_11-36-41 by pinemarten, on Flickr
    Both pie and stew do look rather nice! I got a great game cookery book for Christmas and already have a long list of things to try (when I feel inclined) but I'll add it on.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Tidy .22 rifle that
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Tidy .22 rifle that
    Thanks! I've had it three years and so far it had just been my running boar rifle, which is fine but a bit of a waste.
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

I have to say I am disappointed with your attitude. Mushrooms in the pie. Disgusting. Next thing you will say you drink coffee as well.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    I have to say I am disappointed with your attitude. Mushrooms in the pie. Disgusting. Next thing you will say you drink coffee as well.
    I love mushrooms! You can never have too many mushrooms. And they're a natural partner for game as they grow at the same time, in the same places (well, earlier in the season). I just wish I had had another one of these, that I found last year in Scotland when attempting to find a roebuck who was mocking me from within the wood:

IMAG0446 by pinemarten, on Flickr

And yes, I'm drinking coffee right now.

PM - repeat after me - " I shalt not forget to take 1/2 dozen 16 bore cartridges with my drilling even if I am going after deer."

and at very least they provide a very useful close range finisher if your first shot placement wasn't as good as it could be. But more importantly you don't come home empty handed!