Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuttle fish bone

Cuttle fish bone

Ok, I was at the beach today and found some cuttle fish bones. I picked them up as I thought they might have a use. I know that some people give them to birds to chew, are there any other uses for them? I Don't have any budgies, lol.

A base for a deer lick add some aniseed to it may get them interested

I smash them up and give them to the chickens.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

These may well be the only sharp things available to us following the next round in reduction of knife crime?

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    These may well be the only sharp things available to us following the next round in reduction of knife crime?
    Maybe I'll hang onto them for gralloching then!

As far as cuttlefish bone is concerned, it plays a variety of different roles in the eyes of people from different backgrounds.
    From the perspective of a practitioner, it is better known as Hai Piao Xiao, an effective Chinese herb that is commonly used in the treatments of gastritis and nocturnal emission;
    From the owners of caged birds, budgies, reptiles, and others, it serves as a good supplement that is rich in calcium;

From a dentist, it is a wonderful absorbent that is frequently used to stop bleeding after tooth extraction or nose surgery;
    From Jewelers, it is an amazing mold-making material thanks to its heat-resisting, easy-carving and casting nature.
    I've seen a plumber use it as a heat shield when soldering a joint, I've seen lock smiths use it by stabbing a key into it to see and match a key profile, I've seen tribesmen use it as a tooth brush
    I don't know of any seaside Gun smith uses or recipes that use it, interesting stuff though and for a deer the calcium could attract and be as said a medium for an attractant...
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

SD Regular
    They carve well. I've known them with a side view of a ship carved on them and then the ship and the "sea" painted and sold to tourists. Think a side view of the Queen Mary, Titanic, that sort of thing. Heck, HMS Hood if that takes your fancy.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 04-01-2016 at 23:12.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x354-q80.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	65033
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

Young Samoan girls use them for bum bleaching. Why i don't know.

SD Regular
    Attachment 65039

Here's a happy tortoise enjoying his/her cuttlefish bone...